Strange noise in 1st gear

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellie

Hello....

Just a quick question that is bugging me

This only happens when the car is cold.....when i start the engine, put it in first gear, accelerate, i can hear a weird banging noise i think is coming from the bottom of the gearbox, it literally lasts 2 seconds

The only way i can describe it is for example i used to have an old peugeot, and every time i put it into reverse it didnt go in properly so when i tried to go it just made a grinding noise as it wasnt in gear!!

Hope you can make sense of what i am talking about...lol

It only happens when the car is cold, like i said, but once the car is warm it doesnt do it...when you're driving through the town you are forever stopping at red lights, junctions etc...but it is fine once i get going

Does anyone have any advice on what it is????? :roll:

Sounds like maybe the abs doing its 12mph self test ?

Does it do it just the once each time you start the car and drive off ?

quest63 said:
Sounds like maybe the abs doing its 12mph self test ?

Does it do it just the once each time you start the car and drive off ?

Yes it does, you think its all normal then...it can also do it if i have parked up for a few minutes with the engine idling

What is the ABS self test? ive never heard of that before lol :)

If it does it after stopping but with the engine running and not having turned the engine off that probably excludes the abs test as the cause.I cant give you an in depth technical explanation about what the test does but its normal and should do it each time you start the car and drive off at 12mph.

It probably tests its getting a signal from the abs sensor on each wheel maybe cycles itself and if it finds a problem probably puts on the warning light on the dash but thats just a guess.

Thankyou for your help,i reallyappreciate this

No i definately sounds like the ABS pump, my husband was confusing me, yes it only does it when i first start the car up, thinking about it, and its always in first gear around the 12mph :wink:

I feel so much better now, thanks...

My husband has noticed a small oil leak he thinks is coming from and around the gearbox..possibly a seal or something :? ...is this a common fault on pumas do you know??

edit: was going to say it's almost always the rocker cover gasket, but Archbishop got there first.

PS - check the garage list in my signature to find a tried and tested Puma-friendly garage near you. Or if you tell us where you are there might be a Puma expert near you - like El Dude in Nottingham, Ian G in Merseyside or Steavie in East London.

If its the ABS test it should only do it once, after you start the car and set off, it shouldn't do it again until the engine is restarted.

Nevermind I got here late :lol:

Probably the first point of call for oil leak problems is the rocker box gasket, which often leads people to think they have an oil leak from elsewhere.Its a common problem not to hard or expensive to fix. Theres a How to guide on how to do it.

There are of course other places that may leak.

Also possibly an overfilled gearbox could blow oil out of the breather on the top front of the gearbox.

Best to try and clean away all the oil and try and find where its coming from.

russv said:
If its the ABS test it should only do it once, after you start the car and set off, it shouldn't do it again until the engine is restarted.

Nevermind I got here late :lol:

Thankyou :wink:

Yes thinking of it, it only really does it when the car is first started, i drive around town, red lights, junctions etc etc and it never does it when accelerating off again, so it sounds pretty definate it is the ABS...

Ive never heard of it before until you guys said, thanks a million :)

So that's the noise sorted - now you need to worry about your oil leak! Make sure you check your oil regularly - Pumas don't like being low on oil. 5w30 semi synthetic ideally, but loads of people use fully synth with no problems. Shell Helix is what goes in mine.

Just seen this thread, very glad I joined as I had noticed this noise too and wondered what it was....I wasn't too concerned as it seemed to happen at the same time every time when first starting off and that was it - glad to have my mind put to rest though, cheers folks :grin:

Back