suspension suggestions please lads

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

lads Im looking at upgrading my suspension and lowering 1 1/2 inches.
I just dont know what to go for...Have been loking at spax psx,ap coilovers,gaz coilovers and so on...My head is wrecked..lol.

The car is no track car just like to take it out and give it a good blurt around the hills here in Ireland..

I have a budget of around 6-700 euro but dont want to buy anything that is overkill for my needs.

So any suggetions would be greatly appreciated..

PS...Im running 16`s got the big brakes(st150 mintex 1144 pads) and new bushes all round so just need the shocks now..
Cheers

How good are your roads and how old are you?

I ask as you very well might find you end up with a car that's too hard for you. The archbishop may be selling his -30mm eibachs in the future as he finds them too hard for him. I have the same setup and I wouldn't want the car any harder.

May be best to try driving someone elses car that's lowered first and see what springs suits you

Well Im older than dirt...46 going on 21 :p
This car is my midlife crisis car...cant afford a porche

The roads around here arnt too bad...Im out in the sticks so some are good and some are shite..

Id preferably like something that is adjustable and firmer than stock shocks
My current original shocks are working fine...my last NCT(mot) showed a 2% imbalance up front and 4% in the rear but they are rusty as all hell..

As far as getting a ride in another car is out of the question.. All my mates are driving people carriers or diesel passats and the like...(boring)

Also I have had this puma 4 months now and am yet to see another..

If you haven't stripped any weight out of the car then I wouldn't bother with coilovers to avoid any potential grief with setup. My advise would be eibach 30mm springs paired with bilstein shocks. If you do go down coilover route, make sure you measure each corner FIRST from centre cap to arch and set them up based on these figs. This will give you a base setup before you'd corner weight and resetting the tracking on the car.

I'm the same, mid life crisis car and I'm older than dirt's granddad. And my eibachs with new shocks and topmounts are at my limit, damn nice on good roads though.

I would still consider new standard though as an option.

ps: you have to change all your mates to more interesting ones :-D

stephengreen said:
If you haven't stripped any weight out of the car then I wouldn't bother with coilovers to avoid any potential grief with setup. My advise would be eibach 30mm springs paired with bilstein shocks. If you do go down coilover route, make sure you measure each corner FIRST from centre cap to arch and set them up based on these figs. This will give you a base setup before you'd corner weight and resetting the tracking on the car.
Sound advice Sir...
I am seriously looking at the bilstein shocks and eibach springs..Those bilsteins are a pretty price :?

quest63 said:
I'm the same, mid life crisis car and I'm older than dirt's granddad. And my eibachs with new shocks and topmounts are at my limit, damn nice on good roads though.

I would still consider new standard though as an option.

ps: you have to change all your mates to more interesting ones :-D
Dirts Grandad...Wow..Do have a grab rail to help get out of the Puma???
Only Joking..

As for going new factory shocks im sort of in the thinking off if something needs to be replaced..Replace it with up graded parts..

I do appreciate the food for thought..

Sure its always worth considering an upgrade when something needs replacing :-D

I wanted the Bilsteins as well but they were going on three times as expensive

I have put on new front springs (the original were rusty and just waiting to fail) and all around new KYB G's. They are also OE spec. Since the roads here (Croatia) aren't the best I find it just about hard and low enough. New shocks made very good improvement (the old ones were still OK, no oil loss, just lost the edge in performance)
I am 43 (an old fart) and I'd recommend sticking with OE spec; sporty enough (unless you go on track) and comfy enough, IMHO

quest63 said:
Sure its always worth considering an upgrade when something needs replacing :-D

I wanted the Bilsteins as well but they were going on three times as expensive
I hear ya... They are pricey but get my 6mth bonus at end of month and I do like to treat myself come bonus time...If I don't put the money in the car I will only drink it :twisted:

quest63 said:
I could always look after it for you in the bank of Questy :twisted:
That's exactly what my Mrs said... Do you know my Mrs???? :grin:

I have AP coilovers on mine and really pleased with the handling of them.

Also we're not ALL lads :eek:k:

Sparx said:
I have AP coilovers on mine and really pleased with the handling of them.

Also we're not ALL lads :eek:k:
Here in Ireland Lads is everbody :) Both Men and Women..Were all equal
I was looking at at AP"s but have my mind made up on the Bilsteins..

Thanks

I have billys on the road rally car and are fantastic on bumpy tar so will be good on your roads.

as others have said, be very careful, as you spend more time looking at the inside rather than the outside, stiffer suspension, cheap lowering springs etc will make car look better and driver comfort worse, bilstens well respected almost everywhere, for dampers, you already have 16" wheels so less give in tyres, anything lower will stiffen and so harden ride, which you will regret unless going on track

Personally forget coilovers, with 16" rims its not going to be a nice to drive round town, although standard suspension makes car look high, handling/comfort balance is about as good as you will get. I did consider all sorts with mine, but after first trackday in it, didn't see any reason to really change anything, as still want comfort around town.

mrbushrat said:
I have billys on the road rally car and are fantastic on bumpy tar so will be good on your roads.
That's good to know...

Cheers Ratman

Lord B said:
as others have said, be very careful, as you spend more time looking at the inside rather than the outside, stiffer suspension, cheap lowering springs etc will make car look better and driver comfort worse, bilstens well respected almost everywhere, for dampers, you already have 16" wheels so less give in tyres, anything lower will stiffen and so harden ride, which you will regret unless going on track

Personally forget coilovers, with 16" rims its not going to be a nice to drive round town, although standard suspension makes car look high, handling/comfort balance is about as good as you will get. I did consider all sorts with mine, but after first trackday in it, didn't see any reason to really change anything, as still want comfort around town.
My mind is made up...Billies all round and eibachs aswell....If I find the springs too hard I will sell em off and and refit the standard springs and count my losses..

I appreciate your input..
Cheers

I've got coilovers and 16" wheels and the ride isn't that bad!
Ok, it's very firm but not so hard that it breaks your back why you drive over a spec of dust!

More than anything I would recommend a front lower brace if you haven't already fitted one. The difference they make is VERY noticeable!

CherryVimto said:
I've got coilovers and 16" wheels and the ride isn't that bad!
Ok, it's very firm but not so hard that it breaks your back why you drive over a spec of dust!

More than anything I would recommend a front lower brace if you haven't already fitted one. The difference they make is VERY noticeable!
Yes the lower brace is on the wish list as well..I figure for the price of it...it cant hurt...Have heard a lot of good things about fitting it and no cons so why not hey..

Cheers..

Back