Swapping fuel tank

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crutts

Hi Guys,

While my MOT was being down, I had a look at the underside of my Puma, and noticed that it was very rusty, and before then I had smelth fuel at various times.By the looks of it, it is rusty only on the top half (can fill it half way and not loose too much).

My queestion is, how easy is it to swap a fuel tank and can anyone give me a numpties (me) guid to doing?

Cheers

Joe

the general jist is 4 bolts on the corners, drop down, disconnect all the hoses/jubilees, unplug the pump then once off remove all the ancilliaries

il write a proper guide when i have mine off, not much use to you now lol

to remove fuel disconnect pipe off fuel filter, then either wire up a constant 12v feed to the pump to pump it out, or do what ian did and keep turning the key in the ignition to pump it out at a slower rate

4 bolts 13mm I think, the front two are captive so can just be undone, the rear two you need a 13mm spanner on the back of them so the retainer fitting doesn't spin.

Lower the tank, remove:

Fuel supply and return (white/red connectors), supply can stay connected if you remove the fuel filter and clips as an alternative approach.
Pump wiring which has a metal retainer on the clip
Filler inlet and breather which are on jubilee clips

There's a breather on the tank as well, can't remember where that routes, should be enough room to see when you get it off. It's clipped to the tank though so remove the hose from that first.

I've done it on mine mate..very easy job,

4 13mm bolts, get a jack underneath it as its easier to lower it down, as its coming down disconnect any hoses you need to, job done mate..

1 problem i did have is when putting it back on i left the wiring for the fuel pump till last when it was all bolted back up, and the bung inside the car is no help as they dont line up?

Turns out my fuel tank had rusted quite a bit. So much in fact that petrol started coming out! Thought i could smell something as i got out one day. So she's been in the garage having a new tank fitted, and when i got back and took her for a spin, notices the petrol gauge was going down fast as i drove it! So back to the garage she went, aparantly the float/sensor device that measures the fuel in the tank was catching on a bush! garage say they can move the float/sensor slightly so it doesnt catch. Off to pick her up today - fingers crossed!

Garage managed to track down the new tank for me for £55.

So after getting the car back with a new petrol tank fitted, i filled her up to check and see if the fuel gauge on the dash would be working ok.. It only went up to half way! So i kept an eye on it the whole drive down to London from Stockport and the gauge only started moving down after i had less than half a tank of petrol. Now on less than 1/4 i will have to fill up and check again to see if the fuel gauge moves up. Fingers crossed!

Cheers guys, I will be doing this in the next 2 weeks, getting sick and tired of only being being able to put £20 worth of fuel in before it leaks. Made a trip to London very interesting.... :!:

HI, i've just got my first puma! two of the bolts on the fuel tank are missing (closest too the rear passenger seat) what length are the 13mm bolts?

ACP17 said:
HI, i've just got my first puma! two of the bolts on the fuel tank are missing (closest too the rear passenger seat) what length are the 13mm bolts?

If they take a 13mm socket then they will be a M8 threaded bolt. Unsure of the length, while you are under the car can't you measure the length required using a screwdriver and thumb to gauge the length then measure with a tape measure?

Back