Tailgating!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

No not what the heading implies but it seemed a catchy title :grin:

On the family barge C-Max which by the way just did the annual family Aviemore run, fully loaded plus 4 adults and a 4 year old and returned an average of 44mpg (most of the run being done at 60mph+) has developed an interesting problem.

Central locking no longer opens the tailgate as before, we now have to use the tailgate specific button on the fob,but then when you close the tailgate and then close the drivers door the tailgate pops open again (not all the time)

Ideas please before I go removing trim etc (its freezing outside and armchair diagnostics is a much better option)

Mucho thanko guys

Has this problem started since the extreme cold weather?
Perhaps it might be damp on the connectors to the tailgate solenoid and simply needs some wd40 .You may even be lucky to find that when things warm up a bit, that problem disappears on its own.

Thanks for that DOH, that thought did cross my mind, sadly due to my age and the cold outside it then fell off the other side :grin:

I hink it is worth going the WD40 route first see what happens as yes it has only started since we were in Aviemore and the ice/snow

When you say central locking doesn't open it, are you meaning the microswitch in the boot handle doesn't respond?

What year is it?

Central locking locks can become temperamental during extreme weather and resolve themselves once normal operating temperatures return.
So don't panic yet , provided you have sussed a temporary workaround to the issue.

Ian G.....unlocking car with fob no longer unlocks the boot at the same time which means to open the boot you need to use the specific button on the fob to unlock it before opening, then when you close the boot then get in and close the drivers door the boot opens itself again (once you get out and re-shut it it appears fine, real pain though when it is peeing down)
Its a 2007 btw
DOH..not panicing yet, as above once it is re-shut it seems to stay

Its a microswitch in the boot handle though?

My understanding is that the microswitch requests to the GEM that the latch should be fired, in the same way that the third button does the same. Its the GEM that powers the latch.

Sounds very much to me like the microswitch has failed - or bigger job the loom back inside the car - normally around the hinge where it travels down the conduit back towards the body.

Also the boot latch also doesn't return to latched? Does the driver's door have anything to do with it or you are just noticing it because of the movement of the air. ie. can you push the boot open from inside any time after you've unlocked?

Latch mech also sounds a bit dicky perhaps, they can benefit from cleaning.

Thanks for info/imput Mr G, thankfully although you have made it sound more nightmarish than I thought.....slight raise in temp seems to have cured it, if only the rest of my life was so easily sorted :grin:

Latest posts

Back