tappets

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as the tappets are hydralic you will need shims,but you wont know what size until you have measured the gap,best left to a garage to do if you have never done this before

I am a retired mechanic have checked auto data info and shows tappet settings,so should not be hydraulic tappets or have i miss read info.

I'm pretty sure they're Hydraullic too. I'm pretty sure my brothers Puma has been re-shimmed previously.

yep they are 100% hydraulic mine are tapping a bit took it to a garage last week and they wanted 300quid, i think im gunna leave them a little longer, i would attempt it myself but im scared of messing the timing up

I have now removed cams and can assure you that if you paid to have hydraulic tappets re-shimmed you were ripped off. They are shim adjusted only. Off to ford dealers to get shims. Job NOT for the D.I.Y.er. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the update, my brother didn't pay for it it was done prior to his ownership. I suppose all it had done is what you're doing.

Would you be able to update us with how you get on and whether it makes a good difference to the noise?

A good idea before any maintenance is a good engine flush, can make the world of difference to the tappets.

red said:
Thanks for the update, my brother didn't pay for it it was done prior to his ownership. I suppose all it had done is what you're doing.

Would you be able to update us with how you get on and whether it makes a good difference to the noise?

mix 2000 said a good flush would help with the tappets,this will not help shimmed tappets but would help hydraulic ones.Forte do an additive for noisy tappets.The reason I had to do this was one tappet had no clearance.This is a freebie for a friend of my sons and to keep up to speed with the latest tec on these cars.

Have now completed the job,engine on all four cylinders again.Really not a job for D I Y guys, no disrespect meant.Had to sort out clearances in metric, would have been easier in thous ( 25.4mm to 1inch).I could remember that from tec (1959 -1964).

Latest posts

Back