Technical cambelt question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyW

Off to Top Gear Automotive in Wolverhampton next month for a service and my second cambelt change.

Will be doing the water pump, aux belt and rocker gasket also.

Are there any other seals, gaskets, bolts, etc that I should replace while I'm at it?

Cheers! :eek:k:

Andy

Only thing I can think of is the tensioner; cambelt kit contains a tensioner, belt and rocker cover gasket.

Forgive the shameless plug, but this would be the perfect time to replace your cams...

Yeah I know about the tensioner thanks mate :)

Didn't know the cambelt kit includes the rocker gasket? :?

I hope not- I just spent out on a Cambelt Kit, A water Pump, A tensioner, A idler pulley, A Aux Belt and a Rocker Gasket :(

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure that it did.

Don't forget all the parts are also available separately so there is a danger of a parts guy ordering them separately, rather than using the single FINIS for a kit. Can't get into my old Microcat at the moment, will check later.

The Gates kit is just belt, tensioner and bolts.
Crank and cam oil seals are only a few quid while you're there.

Rocker Gasket is extra (Finis 1031031), as is the Crankshaft Pully Bolt (Finis 1007596).

If you remove the Crankshaft Pully/Vibration Damper Bolt (Finis 1007596), it needs to be renewed as it is a "Stretch" bolt and, IIRC is torqued to 40 Nm, then 90 degrees.

As Paul says, I can confirm that this bolt does come with the kit. So I now have a spare one if anybody needs it?

That's interesting, I was invoiced seperate for one. My garage must have a spare one as well!!

The cambelt kit does NOT include a rocker cover gasket.

I'd buy a new aux belt, and ask garage to repace it at the same time as the cambelt, old aux belt has to be removed during cambelt change, so should not incur extra labour charge, also ask garage to see if aux belt tensioner needs replacing as well, many owners get cambelt changed, then complain of 'tappety' noise afterwards, usually the aux belt tensioner needs replacing.

Back