The Beige Box Replacement Thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

To save me clogging up Project Puma with my various Mini hate posts and endless pictures of Clio 200's, I thought I'd start a dedicated thread for when the Beige Box finally goes (by the way, I have no idea when that might be. This year hopefully - the sooner the better).

I'm torn between the following:

RenaultSport Clio 200 Cup (preferably the 'full fat' version with Recaros, and in Alien Green if I can find one).

Focus ST
Honda Civic Type R (either a late EP3, or FN2)
Mazda MX-5 Mk3
Honda S2000

My preference is towards normally aspirated high revving stuff (hence the Clio and the Civic), as I hate the the turbo on the Mini - it's bloody impossible to drive the thing in anger.
I also do a 40 mile commute each way to work quite often in the week, and hopefully a lot more often too :), so something that's bearable would be nice.

As for budget, I'm not too sure, as it depends on what happens with the Beige Box. If I do manage to shift it and walk away, I'd guesstimate about £10K ish.

Other than that, I'm open to suggestions...

All great replacements imo...

The Type-R will be reliable, the EP3 looks good and has 200bhp to start you off.. and i love vtec lol
You can have a lot of fun in the MX-5 or the S2000... if you like that sort of thing ;)
ST just great all rounder and the Clio 200 in Alien green would look the nuts!!

I'm sure my input hasn't helped you whatsoever... but i like them all!! :lol:

My brother an I commute 40 miles each way in his VX220 and that's a Turbo that can be driven in anger :cool:

That said though it is something you do knowing it's not going to be like commuting in a 530d for example. He still gets 35-40mpg though which makes it not awful for a fun petrol car.

You could get a Tuscan Speed 6 - I've seen a guy commuting everyday in one for 4 years! Bit more required on the budget though.

My next fun car will be an Evo 8 I think...

I hate convertibles. They ALWAYS end up leaking.

I guess the foldy top (at the expense of a 35kg weight penalty on an already lardy two-seater) MX5 probably stays fairly watertight?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

racing_toyota_starlet_ep82_5.jpg

Damn, this is a nice noise :grin:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYhgae_Y2F4[/youtube]

Right, my latest plan is to shift the Beige Box pretty much as soon as, and get something useable for around £1K.

Shortlist at the minute is:

Puma (obviously)
Saxo VTR/S (don't laugh, I've always liked them. I'll only accept unbarried examples.
Fiesta Zetec S (downside is sub £1k ones seem to be pretty ropey/shagged)
Mazda MX-5 Mk1 (as above)
Toyota Starlet (again, don't laugh. My last Starlet runaround was awesome, and I don't care what anyone says ;-))
VW Polo - solid, but a bit boring?
Alfa GTV - maybe too daring a choice?

Any other suggestions?

Ive always said you should have kept that Starlet! doubt you'll find another one just as good!

I know!

It's one of my biggest regrets selling that car. I genuinely got quite attached to it :cry:

^ At this price level, I hardly think that's the point :lol:

lusid666 said:
whats wrong with the pumas big sister (cougar)??

Just no. No car designed for fat Americans can ever make it through to the shortlist.

Local papers can be good for cheap runarounds. What's your maximums on age & mileage etc, and I'll keep an eye open for anything that seems interesting. :eek:k:

As above - check the locals mate. For that price you won't get anything decent from a garage, the crap I saw for the daughter around that price was unbelievable so a private purchase should get you a better example of whatever you choose.

Good Luck with the search :thumbs:

Back