The book is dead - long live the book.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's because they live up North, its so bloody cold that the glue cracks as you open the book. Especially if they are reading in the outside loo... lol.

:lol:

I actually remember living in a house some 40 or so years ago that had said outside toilet. My mother obviously didn't mind as we moved from a house with an inside loo to an old terrace with the shithouse, maybe she didn't like the smell of my fathers crap at the time and was trying to say something....lol.

Spooky70 said:
[post]3478[/post] Personally, I don't think it will catch on. There really is nothing quite like I hardback first edition. My book shelves are full of them.

My fav author at the moment is Steve Alten and I am hunting down some of his earlier books that are out of print in hardback, as I just don't want a nasty paperback!
I was just having a wander through some old threads, and found this thread. I couldn't help but smile at this comment!

After being initally dead set against the the Kindle, I'm now on my second. The old one still works fine, although the battery doesn't last quite as long, but Dal got me a Kindle paperwhite for Christmas. Far from it replacing my beloved paper books, it has freed up my book buying so that most of what I read is on my Kindle, but I also buy an inordinate amount of signed, special edition or just pretty books.

I love using my Kindle; not too heavy and easy to read with the lights out :) The only books I prefer in real book form are those with illustrations that you need to keep referring back to. e.g maps in Max Hastings' historical war books. I recently read a book about the history of Gaza on the Kindle and it was a right PITA trying to look at the maps.

That comment you quoted reminds me of the time nearly 30 years ago when a telecoms test kit sales rep suggested that it might be a good idea to carry telephone calls over an IP network. Oh how we laughed!!! "It'll never work!!". I guess we were a bit wrong :)

Bob

I was dead set against liking Kindles, but we've some holidays coming and I didn't fancy the usual lugging around of tonnes of paperbacks, so rather than fork out on a new one, I bought a second hand one locally for £20. I'm slightly horrified that I really like it. Enlarging the text is good for tired eyes and it's so light and handy.

Converted. And I really never thought I'd say that.

If you join BookBub (free), you get email alerts to limited-time free & discounted ebooks, matching your interests. I have mine set up to my Amazon account. You just click on any book you like, it goes straight to Amazon, place your order (most of my downloads are free, but good) and download to the Kindle:
https://www.bookbub.com/home

Back