Thinking about HID's.....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsbegood

Hi guys and gals. Thinking of upgrading my sisters headlights to HIDs. One question though is what hid bulb replaces the hb3 headlight bulb?? I've seen alot around that fit h7/h4 but hb3 seem to be more rarer.
Any thoughts, ideas or previous experiences well glad fully be received. :grin:

Nice one, thanks guys. So do u know the name of the HUD bulb u fit? I know there's d2s and d2c but as the hb3 twists in I though it may be different.

The HID bulb is 'direct fit'. The plastic base is the same shape as the standard HB3/9005 bulbs, hence why you need to ask for the right bulb type. It's only the actual glass/bulb itself that's different.
So, as long as you ask for (and they send) the right bulb type, they'll fit!

These are mine:
13042012632.jpg

Sweet. They look awesome. Was thinking of getting a kit for my passat as my light are worse than useless but I need to buy projector headlamps as mine are reflective. Thanks guys. I'm pretty confident around electrics so should be a diddle on installations but are there any how to's??

Honestly, If I can fit them anyone can!

Just follow the instructions that come in the kit, the most difficult part is drilling a hole in the plastic cover of the light unit and even that is easy

Best mod I've done to the puma, by a mile

Cheers

Damo

To be honest, the instructions weren't massively clear, but with a little common sense, it's easy.

Remove headlight.
Remove the plastic cover off the back of the light and drill a hole in it to fit the rubber grommet.
Put through the hole the bulb and plug socket.
Fit bulb in and connect plug socket to plug on lighting circuit** (the plug the original bulb connected to).
Push rubber grommet in hole.
Put the rear plastic back on.
Connect the all the small plugs up and large plug for the ballast.
Put light back in, connecting it back up to the car!

** This bit needs a little common sense. The plug which connects to the original bulb, has a clip which goes over a little tab on the bulb, so looking at it, you know which way to connect it up.
On the HID kit, the plug socket which connects to the plug on the vehicle wiring has a tab on each side, so you could potentially connect it to the car wiring the wrong way round. Make sure you check the instructions and the vehicle wiring to ensure you know which wires are positive and negative!

If you buy the kit, all will become clear!

Sweet. Thanks for that mate. Could just stick the multimeter in one port and the other lead on the engine block to locate live port on the supply plug. Thanks again. Just ash I could put the hid kit in my motor. :cry:

For any members, including myself, who has bought and fitted the HID kit as linked above, I've found some replacement HID bulbs:

Ebay Link

Took 2 days to arrive with free P&P.

I'm going out to fit them shortly.... Yes, they fit perfect!

Latest posts

Back