Thinking of getting these alloys, but not sure

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holly

Hey all, been a while i know.

Have been looking at some new alloys for my baby.
Not sure if i should just stick with 15" or go for 16". I dont really want to got for 17" as alot of people have said it is better to lower the car.

Here are two pictures, one with current alloys and the other has been edited in photoshop with the alloys i am interested in.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Any advice would be great.

H x

I can't see anything wrong with them, they look fine.

Then again, your current wheels look fine too.

:)

Sorry "H" I think those wheels are hideous :-(

I think multi spoke design seem to suit the Puma better than 5/6 spoke efforts also something with a little more offset to fill the arches would also be better.

Just me probably but you did ask :grin:

Personally I dont like them at all but many others might.

Whether a car is better lowered or not is a matter of personal opinion but you will lose comfort for better handling. And lower springs may very well wear other aged parts more quicky.

An important aspect is making sure you maintain the standard offset that Puma's have so you dont upset the handling.

In due course I will be lowering mine a modest 30mm on standard wheels, but if I were to have other wheels I wouldnt go larger than 16 inch.Just my personnal taste but I think 17 is too much

zinc2000 said:
Sorry "H" I think those wheels are hideous :-(

I think multi spoke design seem to suit the Puma better than 5/6 spoke efforts also something with a little more offset to fill the arches would also be better.

Just me probably but you did ask :grin:

No no thats fine. I have been looking at them for a while and i really liked them to start with but the more i look at them the less convinced i am. All comments greatly received.

Do you mean the thickness of the tire when you say offset, sorry not very knowledgeable being my first car.

H x

Welcome back! :thumbs:

On one hand, I'm not keen on those wheels either.

On the other, your current wheels look in very good nick so if you were thinking of selling them, give me a shout cos mine are knackered! :-D

PS - looking lovely and shiny there. Brownie points for the nicely dressed tyres!

The offset is the amount the wheel sits out from the face of the wheel hubs iirc the offset is 37 on standard puma wheels

Another aspect of changing from 15 to 16 inch wheels is that tyres could cost more and you may make your speedo slightly innacurate, however having lower profile tyres on 16's may balance that up

Offset is the amount of the wheel rim on the outside of the wheel, wider the outside rim the more the offset, but you do have to be careful not to go to wide for the reason that Mr Quest gave above.

My ideal wheel would be a classic 8 spoke minilight or replica of but thats cos I am old and grew up with proper alloys :grin:

Just seen the pretty pics above, says it all really.

Wish people would stop posting things just as I explain something :lol: :lol:

Yeah agreed, its damm sneaky that picture paints a thousand words approach :grin: :grin:

Ive wondered what minilites would look like on a Puma, maybe one of these young photopopped kiddies could do us a piccie :grin:

XIIVVX said:
Picture, thousand words, etc

WheelOffset5.gif

OKKKK i am blonde :? but does this mean that it would bring the wheels out slightly. And would that actually make a difference to the massive space i seem to have between tire and arch.

H x

The space between the tyre and arch will reduce with lowering springs, having the wrong off set wheels or more positive offset wheels brings the wheel further out from the car i.e wider

If you want to reduce the comedy gap between wheel and arch you either need lowering springs (or coilovers), or both bigger wheels AND lowering springs/coilovers.

When choosing wheels, make sure they're ET34 or you'll ruin the handling as per Questy's advice above. 16" is the best compromise between looks and handling, but also as mentioned your tyre bill will go up.

If lowering, 30-40mm is about as much as you sensibly want to go without needing to other things to the suspension.

More info on lowering here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=4024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info on wheels here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think those wheels are horrible. I'd stick with the standard wheels. Or find something else lol

And there ain't nowt wrong with being blonde chick ;) offsets always used to confuse me too :lol:

Back