Tyre choice, what do you prefer

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaNoob

What tyres are you all using?? Im really looking for the opinions of those who drive their car hard, i dont care about the wear, i know they last as long as you make them last, and the softer compounds arent going to last as long, but ive only ever used parada's and toyo proxes on cars i drive hard. Im only interested in road tyres, i cant be bothered with swapping wheels over when you reach the track, im not that competitive!!

The reviews on Avon zz3's, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Pirelli P-Zero ect seem good, but i want to know from people who have used them what they think

Many thanks

Always liked Michelins myself but they are very expensive and a bit noisy.

This site has reviews specific to cars: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crystalpuma said:
Always liked Michelins myself but they are very expensive and a bit noisy.

This site has reviews specific to cars: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, road noise isn't a concern, im just looking at grip! I just want to see what peoples opinions and experiences are, because there are some tyres that are nearly double the price of my usual choice, so I'm wondering why that is!! I can get toyo proxes for about £85 a corner (215-40-17), yet some of the others are nearly £170 a tyre, for standard rd tyres!!

Take it you've shopped around? Also depends what characteristics you like/can put up with. Michelins are slightly understeery but I don't think they're that bad considering a front wheel drive car will be anyway...

I think they last well too so perhaps worth the extra money.

I had Avon ZZ3's on my Supra, they were terrible. Falken F452's were far superior and what I would normally have gone for had they not been out of stock at the time.

crystalpuma said:
Take it you've shopped around? Also depends what characteristics you like/can put up with. Michelins are slightly understeery but I don't think they're that bad considering a front wheel drive car will be anyway...

I think they last well too so perhaps worth the extra money.

Yeah, ive shopped around, the prices vary a fair bit, but id like an idea of what to shop around for, as apposed to just going for Proxes or Paradas. What i am looking for is grip!! Nothing else, i dont care how long the tyres last, because ive never had a full set of tyres from new until all the wear has worn down, i always get a puncture in a few! Even rd noise doesnt bother me, i just want GRIP!!! :twisted: Thanks for the input.

MichaelW said:
I had Avon ZZ3's on my Supra, they were terrible. Falken F452's were far superior and what I would normally have gone for had they not been out of stock at the time.

Ive had ZZ3's before, and thought they were good, but they werent on a performance car, so i only drove it slightly enthusiastically at times. But if the falken F452's are a lot better, ill have a look at those.

Thanks for the reply

How about some Toyo R1R ?

I've heard some good things about them from various fora.

Bit pricey though at £74 for 15s:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s662p57653/TOYO_TYRES_TRACKDAY_TRACK_DAY_TOYO_R1R_TOYO_R1_R_-_195_50R15_82V_TL_http://www.camskill.co.uk/m12b0s662p57653/TOYO_TYRES_TRACKDAY_TRACK_DAY_TOYO_R1R_TOYO_R1_R_-_195_50R15_82V_TL_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like yoko a539's but you may have to search for them as I got told the they were stopping production of them, have you looked on http://www.blackcircles.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they're reasonably priced. I've got some falken Ziex ZE-912 on my Ka, they are a good tyre once you've got the hang of how to drive with them, if you've got a progressive right foot they'll hang on for grim death round the corners

I only use Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics on teh ST and they are fabulous, wet or dry.

The Puma has Hankook S1 Evo's on which I would recommend too, have been brillant the few thousand miles they have been on the car.

Ive got Pirelli P6000's on and they seem fine, especially when driven enthusiastically round roundabouts in wet or dry conditions.
Had Avon ZZ3's on one of my Octavia vRS's, and they look fantastic but perform crap IMO.
Had Yoko's on a clio cup and they were fantastic
Had Falken 452's on another of my vRS's and they were decent for the price.
Also had rainsport 2's on another vRS and they were fantastic.
I would say the best tyre is Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's but I think they only start at 17's
I would go for the Toyo's...they won't last but will do the job and they are not too expensive usually.
Cheers
Damo

Im running the Michelin Pilot Exaltos on the FRP - outstanding performance in both the wet and dry (and im sure many people will back me up in saying that I do drive my car hard) although they are £150 a pop for the FRP

On my standard car I was running Nankang NS2's all round, again after the many snidey comments etc about them being a budget tyre I whipped a fellow puma driver running the Toyo's, and surprised quite a few people in how well they gripped the road in both wet and dry coniditions (going round a roundabout one time with 2 passengers I got the comment 'my FRP' wouldnt go round there that fast! ) These tyres also did a pre meet drive from new aswell and again were very impressive
I used them whilst on the Ring also and for £73 (at te time) for a set of two from Camskill Bargain.

Before I got to Zara's post I was going to just suggest you get the same as her because hers just stick to the road, I have experienced it and it was an awesome few spins around the roundabout!

I will not worry about what is on mine as I simply do not know and dont want to go out in the dark to find out lol But when I was a biker I used Avon Blue Spots on my 750, when warm they were so tacky to the touch and I felt very safe with them. but that was a very very long time ago (19yrs) and they cost 120 then!

When I have to change I will re-read this little thread!

Gary

Thanks all for the posts, some of the tyres youve mentioned ive never even heard of!

Zara, you seem to have a little reputation for "spirited" or "enthusiastic" driving, so ill certainly have a look for some Michelin Pilot Exaltos, although £150 a corner makes my wallet ache a little :lol: !

Theres been a few bad experiences of ZZ3's so ill steer clear of them for now. But it seems that i should be shopping for more then my usual brands!!

my car is driven exactly how it was designed for ;) also I think some people may comment on the size of balls I also have to compliment this :lol:

Good Luck with the search :)

I have Falken F452 on my FRP and really good in the dry. Not a wet tyre......

You can't go wrong with Toyos for value and my Bro inlaws swears by the performance

Cheers

Ally

im currently running toyo's new R1R on the clio, they are more grippy than the t1r's but suffer with the same soft compound, they also have good performance in the wet, i havnt tried them on a trackday yet but im guessing there probly melt like the t1r's

Back