tyre choices

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

what is best, avon zv7 or toyo tr1 as there are both on offer at black circle tyres

I personally wouldn't bother with Toyos unless they're R888's.
They tend to get a bit dangerous when they get closer to the wear markers and can let go with virtually no warning - not what you want!
If you can stretch to it and you push the car a bit, go for a set of Michelin Pilot Sports, they're utterly brilliant and you'll be amazed. I picked up a set of part worns that had done a couple of track days - £90 for all 4 posted and they have transformed the car. Still loads of life left in em too.

I have had a whole host of tyres on previous and current cars, hopefully some of this will be of help:

- Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas - good all round budget tyre, not incredible but not bad (Impreza)
- Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's - worst tyres I've ever had on a car, no grip in the wet - I had a HUGE off as a result, would never EVER go near them again (Impreza).
- Goodyear Eagle F1 - pretty good in the dry, poor grip in the wet (Impreza).
- Toyo T1R's - overrated, weak sidewalls, very small margin before letting go without much warning when tread gets low (Impreza)
- Kumho Ecsta Sport KU39's - great little budget tyre with surprising amount of grip, although push on and you'll get quite a bit of understeer at higher speeds (Fiesta ST 2.0)
- Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - Amazing tyres, the sheer amount of grip is staggering. Not cheap though (BMW E92 M3)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport - similar to the above, although I actually preferred the feel of the pilot sport (BMW E92 M3 + Focus RS Mk3)
- Continental Sport Contact 5's - Good grip, not quite on a par with the Michelins but still a close second (Merc C63 AMG + Impreza). Going to be swapped soon at the rear for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.

Back