urgent help needed oil light on

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

hi i changer the sump plug and oil filter today drainned old oil out purt back together now oil light on just went up the road came straight back car slightly knocking is it possible to be the oil asbefore i have used castrol 5w-30 a1
and this time i got 5w-30 a5 please help thankyou in avance

Hi Jason
It's usually terminal for the engine if you've got the oil light on whilst the car is running, particularly if it's knocking as well. I don't know about the oil but you shouldn't mix mineral and fully synthetic and before you finish the oil change you should fill the oil filter up with oil before you fit it to the engine as it primes the system a lot quicker and then check the oil level with the dipstick.
Barry

hi barry found the problem the oil filter had fell of and was on the drive now ive got to refit it and hope the engine is still good ive done filters before but never had this happen to me before
:oops: :roll:

OOPS, god knows how you managed that but if the filter looks like it may have got dirty, don't use it, just buy another one and fill it with oil before you put it on the car, not forgetting a thin smear on the rubber seal.
Barry
PS Good luck

put oi filter back on filled oil started car and filter poped straight off very annoyed as i got this filter off ebay last year and i had one before but worked same one of ebay what can i do and where do i stand any help woud be appriciated thankyou in advance
:'(
ps i did seal the filter with oil and filled it with oil before putting it back on the car

Blimey, I've never heard of that happening before. Any idea what's actually wrong with it? Knackered thread? Wrong size thread?

Bob

Neither have I, as Bob said either the threads knackered on your engine or the shop has sold you the wrong oil filter, hopefully it's the latter. I would always buy oil filters locally as they're easy to take back if the supplier gets it wrong and let's face it on Ebay the number of times an advertiser says "fits......" and you can see it doesn't. The first thing to do for you is to get underneath the car and carefully check the thread coming off the engine and then clean any swarf off it. If the thread looks ok buy a new filter from a local supplier and try that but be very careful as the thread is fine and easy to cross thread!
Barry

From the sounds of it the engine is probably scrap by now so you're better off just sourcing a new engine

demonskull13 said:
[post]345303[/post] hi barry found the problem the oil filter had fell of and was on the drive now ive got to refit it and hope the engine is still good ive done filters before but never had this happen to me before
:oops: :roll:
Wrong or cheap oil filter. This is the right one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-EFL-600-OIL-FILTER-ZETEC-/230493905968?hash=item35aa81e430:m:mPdf29sI-FTT96LeWcJ-jFg

Much depends on just how far you drove with no oil filter (or oil!) Just slowly up the road and back and you might well be OK.

There's no way of telling yet. So, just check the oil filter body bolt thread for swarf from the original filter. Put the right filter on, fill her up with the right oil and see what you've got.

This is very unlucky. Let's hope the engine has survived, it is possible, depends how long you ran it and how hot it got.
As stated, most likely the wrong thread on the replacement filter.

:? this is the first time I've heard of an oil filter popping off :eek:

Hope that it's just a case of a new one and away you go!

very happy man today got oil filter from Andrew page and oil from asda (asdas even cheaper than ebay by £0.99 for 5l)i was a bit worried that where the filter had popped off that it had tacken some of the threads for the filter but luckily it didnt. i know your only supposed to do the filter up hand tight but then tightened it a very small bit more with my filter removal tool. started car up sounded a bit rough untill oil got through the engine properly then from inside the car engine sounded the same as before,but with the bonnet open and standing at the front of the car engine slightly louder but nothing major so now im thinking of getting a second hand engine and building it to be turboed then when ready swaping engine
:p :thumbs: :pose: :eek:k:

first ive heard of a filter popping off, I was thinking you meant the filter casing popped of the base lol but if your planning on going turbo id recommended double, triple checking the filter once fitted lol or bye bye turbo.

I had once the oil warning light up while driving too. In my case the oil filter was good, I really couldn't find the problem so went to Ford garage. Apparantly there was some bolt of/in the oil pump (?) which had fall off or was not tight anymore, at least this is what they told me. Anyway , when the warning light goes on while driving, allways stop the engine at once and call ur gf to pick you up :)

Back