Water leak into drivers footwell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3xpendable

So the first bit of serious rain since getting my Puma has lead to the drivers footwell being left pretty sodden. Before I start investigating does anyone know if like the Tigra the Puma has any common causes for this?

Thanks

I had the same problem and traced it to a poor seam on the scuttle panel. I had to remove the water bottle to get access but this cured it. Use something like gutter sealer as normal silicone won't hold

Ahh yes this is one of the options I had read about after posting it, so far I've read it could be:

Seam behind water bottle
Seam low down between the sill and floor and bulkhead
Driver door seal

I'll start with your suggestion, thanks!

Slay, how much work was it to remove the washer bottle and get to this seam? Do you have to remove the intermediate bulkhead panel too?

With this sort of job the choice of material to do the repair is important and there is a whole raft of materials that are used on flat rooves, etc that can make this job easier and permanently fixed.

Gutter sealant is slightly too thick for this job and doesn't work well on damp surfaces. It's a bitumen mastic designed to 'sandwich' between surfaces, not for sitting on a surface.

A trowelling mastic designed for flat roof repairs would be a better choice, especially if the area is first wiped over with white spirit.

The best choice if access is limited is one of the emergency roof repair sprays. These can work directly on an already damp surface and have a 6 inch extension tube which gives a spray jet effect. The stuff itself 'creeps' well (here, that would be into the seam) and you'd normally put on 2 coats. Depending on the area, you might find that no dismantling is required. Expensive though at around £12 a can.

Finally, just simple flashing http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Roofing/Roof-Flashing/c/1000249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a great material that can be cut into strips and used for all sorts of things.

Really, apart from the shiny paintwork, the outside of cars are not so very different from the outside of houses and have to withstand the same type of things and so many of the same techniques and materials can be used.

:)

Thanks Frank, I'll try it!! Though first if someone can illustrate what 'seam' I am looking for behind the water bottle I'd be grateful.

Interesting development. Look at the pic below, the matt is only soaked towards the back of the footwell (closer to the driver). You cen see the dark patch is between the rubber heel reast area of the mat and the seat. Seeing as to me this area is higher then the very front of the footwell, and all behind the pedals feels dry to me, does this mean its leaking through a seam lower down?

I would check the door seals carefully before assuming that there is a seam leak. This proved to be the problem when my drivers floor carpet got wet. The seal had split and after rain I could actually see where the water was getting in

Thank guys. Whats the best way to check the door seal? Pour water over the door area with someone inside the car?

Back