Water pump: sealant or no sealant?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

Ok so I'm changing water pump as it's dripping slightly. I can see the old one was fitted with silicone goo but my instinct is saying no silicone because the paper gasket face seems quite 'wide', ie no need for it.

What do you guys think?

Had to replace my pump last year as it had failed after only 1 year, a mechanic fitted the first pump using only the gasket which was fine (it was leaking out of the shaft). I fitted the current pump but used a very light smear of Wynn's gasket sealant. This has also worked fine.
I would say use the sealant but only a very very fine amount as you will block the propeller on the inside.

I don't know the Wynn's stuff but is it blue and smells solventy? Think I've got something similar. I agree, a thin smear of something sticky should help keep the gasket in place while I fiddle it into position.

I had mine changed a short while ago along with the cam belt... only used the supplied paper gasket which should be all you need but I wouldn't hesitate in using a small smear of sealant if I thought it was necessary.

grogee said:
I don't know the Wynn's stuff but is it blue and smells solventy? Think I've got something similar. I agree, a thin smear of something sticky should help keep the gasket in place while I fiddle it into position.

No it's black and comes in a tube similar to a silicone tube but smaller. Brilliant stuff, but absolutely fucking awful to clean up if you get it in the wrong place!
Used it on my cam cover as well 👍

Latest posts

Back