Wet Weather

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Scotsman

Right!!!!

Is it just mine or does anyone else have this problem?

No matter how wet... or even moist the road is.... on certain corners and especially roundabouts, does the back end of your puma just want to exit the roundabout earlier than you intend it to???

Everytime!!! It bloody swings out... feels like its on ice... but it was just a moist road....

My tyres are fine, loads of tread on them.

I think it must just be you :lol: i'm the opposite, i always get too much understeer when its wet... but the paradas arent great in damp conditions

Same here, only understeer if I accelerate too hard. Only managed to 'nearly' get the back end to go unintentionally on the Ring' when it was damp and another time when I trusted a garage to replace my bearings and they didn't tighten up the wheel as I instructed them.

I'd have a good check of the rear components buddy to see if something is loose especially your hub nuts :eek:k:

If everything looks fine I'd hazard a guess on the tyres, crap on the road (if it's the same place each time) or dare I say it your steering input is too erratic on corners.

I've only ever had the back out on a roundabout when carrying waaay too much speed into it. As everyone else has said, at more sedate speeds all I've ever experienced is understeer.

Something definitely sounds awry.

Mine seems really well balanced, running about 29psi all round. will under steer if I carry far too much speed into a tight corner, but if I get the entry right have no problem with the back coming out.

haGGard said:
My old XR2 had w**k tyres on the rear and the back end would always slide out.

Had the same problem on my Puma caused by cr@p tyres, swapped the fronts/rears over (till I could afford new) and it fixed the issue.

Rich.

I use Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres. Very scary tyres, First time Ive ever had a car where wet road conditions make no discernable difference to grip... Im doing road rallys on the tyres and I actually HOPE for rain every event!

Happened a couple of times to me - I like it - I used to have a 2.8v6 Pontiac Fiero so it's nice to get some more tail action going :grin: The Mrs wasn't too impressed though :| , we had a tank slapper with a 180 finish in the Fiero on our first date, which I put down to ice on the road, she disagrees and has never trusted my driving since :roll:

Scariest thing I have noticed in the Puma was going round a round about in the rain, under steering, then when the front gripped it made the rear lose grip.

Does sound like yours is doing it toooo often though

Flying Scotsman said:
ScubaSteve said:
are you lifting off ?

Ehhhh......... mmmmmm...... no..........

But still, im not hammering it round the corners...... there should be at least some grip.... if i go over 20mph it flips out.

He is talking about lift off over steer - when you are accelerating the weight transfers to the rear and if you lift off the throttle the weight transfer moves forward so the rear goes lighter. Obviously if you are lifting off when cornering, the lighter the rear gets, the more chance there is of over steer.

I'm gonna suggest better tyres on the back. I wished I had put better tyres on the back of the car when I had bought it. It came with two decent tyres on the front and some budgets on the rear which I kept with untill I lost the back end on damp morning and smashed my car up.

Out of interest after I got my car back I put the two budgets on the front and went for a drive in the damp, they were useless. They understeered badly and struggled to pull away without spinning up.

Back