What Current Tyres are recommended for an FRP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

444FRP

Can anyone advise me on the current recommendations for Tyres to go on an FRP, general road use only. Thanks

Current Puma's
FRP
Silver 2000 1.7
Red 2002 1.7

gingerdave said:
[post]346639[/post] I'm running Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on various cars at the moment including a couple of Pumas .They work well in the dry and VERY well in the wet.Quite a short life on Fwd cars about 10k miles.
Im running the same and cant fault them at all..... Apart from replacing them every 2 yrs.... small price to pay to keep it on the tar... they stick well to the road all year round ...

I've got Bridgestone Potenza's on the FRP which I think look amazing, but also quiet and grippy. On my standard Puma, I've got Continental Sport Contact 3's which I think are amazing. Perfect day to day and on a track day or three gripped and lasted really well

gingerdave said:
[post]346819[/post] Why would you want them on a car that has a full size spare.They are heavier than a standard tyre so would think they would upset the handling on a 1100 kilo car
FRP doesn't have a full size spare, unless you carry one in the boot.
I have Yokohama Parada Spec 2s on mine, great on a dry road but need to be careful when it's wet. They look great too.

Tried Toyo 's wasn't that impressed ,tended to get lift off over steer in the wet ,so I then went to Yokoohama spec 2 as above brilliant in the dry no conference in the wet, so it stays in the garage now. Currently have Bridgestone potenza RE050A on the ST180 they seem good hard wearing but like the FRP the spare wheel is in a can, which is no good if the tire wall goes. My intention is to go to run flats after the yokos go, but seeing as it only come out when the sun is shining, the wind is blowing in the right direction and the angle of dangle is right I can't see that being soon. Love here from someone who's taken the plunge, I can't imagen that the hard tyre wall would effect the handling, if only improve it.

Frp483 said:
[post]346870[/post] Currently have Bridgestone potenza RE050A on the ST180 they seem good hard wearing but like the FRP the spare wheel is in a can, which is no good if the tyre wall goes.

Got the Bridgestones on mr FRP and have to say I think they're great, and only £82 per tyre fitted when I had them done

I wouldn't run run flats on any of my cars after hearing what they're like on Minis and BMWs. Apparently they ruin the ride quality and therefore may compromise handling with their lack of compliance (like my cheapo springs). Do they also need a special rim profile (not J)?
Barry

Yes they are hard. I have driven some bimmers with RFT Bridgestones and they were like wooden wheels compared to the 'normal' tyres.
And yes, I think they said they needed special rims

Surely it's not a good idea to use runflats at all if they are not standard on the car? I don't think they do need special rims any more but for one how will you know if the tyre has gone flat without any form of pressure monitoring? The whole point of the runflat is that it will still work as normal for a limited time (around 50 miles I think) even with no air in it hence all cars fitted with them have a monitoring system to show when the air is low so you know that you've got a puncture and react to it. Otherwise you could potentially just keep going until the tyre destroys itself before you realized anything is wrong and you end up with effectively a blown tyre. I can't imagine an insurer covering you if your involved in an accident which was the result of having tyres on your car not designed for use on your car either.

Not directly comparable but the Rainsport 3's are the best tyres I've ever fitted to any car but they are on a Merc, front wheel drive mind. I've always had 4 matching very good tyres on all the cars I've ever had, and the missus' (it's her Merc). I always do a lot of research before jumping in as well. The move to Rainsports were as big of a step up from any other premium tyre I've used before as to when I've bought a second hand car and had to replace crap quality non matching tyres for good ones. I'll be using them again for sure!

Less noise, better ride, gave more steering feel, as good as grip in the dry but massively better in the wet. I've never had a change of tyre make so much difference to a car.

Had my Lotus 10 years now.Did a lot of trackday for the first 8 years and always used AO48s or 888s.They wernt always ideal on the road especially if it was raining plus lots of tramlining and noise.I've just fitted Rainsport a few weeks ago with some trepidation but must say they have transformed the car on the road,wet grip no tramlining and no aquaplaning!!!. So much confidence in the rain can enjoy driving it in any conditions.Don't know what they will be like on track expect them to be far less grip but plenty of power wer slides I think.4 Rainsport £175.Four AO48s about £600 and lastabout 2 to 3 k miles.

Forgot about the tramlining. The Merc is a B200 Turbo with a sports suspension obviously and it used to follow the cambers terribly which where we live out in the sticks is a bit of a problem to be honest. The Rainsports pretty much eliminated the tramlining. Still get the odd little bit but that's only to be expected with the types of roads and the size of wheels, it's certainly no more than any other car I've been in now. Will you stick them on your Puma Dave?

Had Rainsport 2 and 3 on Pumas for 3 years.They work so well wet or dry though as stated quite a short life.But at £37 a corner(front corners) it's not that much of a problem.Side walls are a bit soft for a Fwd car on a track.

Cheers Dave

The tyres that were on my Puma when I bought it are matching Michelins with good tread but they are really getting on a bit as it's a lowish mileage car that has seen little use over the last 5 or so years. I'm going to change them sooner rather than later as they are starting to naturally deteriorate so will definitely go with the Rainsports.

Back