what's a turbocharged 270-280bhp puma like to drive?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Get Native

So I'm toying with an idea...this is the spec from Lightning Motorsport for a full engine rebuild and turbo upgrade. power outputs 270 to 290bhp with 260 to 280Ftlb. it cost £4700 (ish) I reckon you would need uprated gearbox, clutch, tyres, suspension and brakes to handle the increased output - anywhere from £3000 onwards. (Worth saying at this point I don't own any tools and wouldn't be confident in doing this kind of a job, I'm more than happy to leave the build to professionals)

it includes -

LMS spec low comp forged piston, LMS spec H beam rods,modifed keywayed crank, HD big end bearing, new main bearings, All new gaskets through out, LMS stage two head, LMS spec HD valve springs, LMST1s turbo spec cams, Choose of T25 roller bearing turbo or GT28 roller bearing turbo normal trust bearing turbo can be used in this kit. Custom tubular exhaust manifold, LMS 250 spec turbo inlet, 58mm throttle body, Front mounted intercooler and piping, 320cc injectors, Uprated fuel pump, Upated fuel pressure reg, Denso itv 24 turbo spec plugs
Omex 600 Emareld k3 standalone ecu, Custom loom, Air temp sensor, Water temp sensor
and Map sensor.

So my questions - what would a puma like this be like behind the wheel? - rough top speed, 0-60mph time -fuel consumption, what mileage you can expect to clock up before the engine is nacked?

Thanks,

Get Native - 1.7 16v 1997 silver

At a guess... Fast, Expensive and not many Miles Per Gallon.

For the money you'd be spending you'd better off buying a 2.0 Duratec as a base engine and turboing. It wouldnt cost you much more to be honest and the engine has massive tuning potential over the 1.7

theres a guy on puma people who did his own 1.7 conversion to similar spec years ago - worth a search

Good to hear - d170sam :)

So PumaJay mentioned 'buying a 2.0 Duratec as a base engine and turboing' - I've been reading some of the threads where this is done, I like the idea and I agree it'd probably be better, but I don't think my local mechanic would be up to that one! can anybody recommend a company or garage to do the full conversion?

This engine rebuild and turbo package from lightning motorsport though seems tempting
(though I dont know if they do Duractec conversions) here is the link for anyone who wants to have a look,
http://www.lightningmotorsport.co.uk/tuningkits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So including everything, the engine and all the extra's needed (tyres, brakes, suspension, etc etc) I reckon £8000 (ish) rough estimate for how much this sort of job might cost including labour. Then if it drives well and doesn't blow up maybe spend another thousand or so making the inside feel well, not like a fiesta anymore, blue seats, maybe a roll cage?
It sounds expensive and it probably is a bit mad to spend 8 - 10 grand on a car I bought for £400, but it's still less than half the cost (£17,745) of the nearest thing to the Puma Ford sell these days the Fiesta St, and it'd be quicker (hopefully) :)

£8000 would buy you a very nice Focus ST though and another 2k would see it knocking on the door of 400bhp. If you want a fast car, buy a fast one in the first place

Latest posts

Back