Wheel fitment question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby4Puma

Hello..i need a little help...im trying to decide wich rims will fit bettrer..im planning a 40mm drop and i dont know what to choose: 205/45 R16 or 205/40 R17 or 215/40 R17 ....i dont want to wheel to hit the real arch...i need spacers too? where i live i have bad roads....with some holes in the asphalt and i dont want to destroy the rims...so i have to make a compromise between looks and practical....so any advices? i see sparx is running 215/40 R17 and BigAl is running 205/40 R17 ...whats the difference? i mean can u feel the difference when u drive it and wich ones they fit better ...tnx

Bobby4Puma said:
Hello..i need a little help...im trying to decide wich rims will fit bettrer..im planning a 40mm drop and i dont know what to choose: 205/45 R16 or 205/40 R17 or 215/40 R17 ....i dont want to wheel to hit the real arch...i need spacers too? where i live i have bad roads....with some holes in the asphalt and i dont want to destroy the rims...so i have to make a compromise between looks and practical....so any advices? i see sparx is running 215/40 R17 and BigAl is running 205/40 R17 ...whats the difference? i mean can u feel the difference when u drive it and wich ones they fit better ...tnx

I'm running 205/40/17 currently.. 215 is actually the wrong size tyre. I don't know the details as to why but that's the case

17's will rub the inside of your arch when you have the wheels on full lock - when lowered 40mm

Hmmm so just the front its rubbing? What about the rear? Do u think 205/45 R16 would be a better choice? I love the way 17inch rims look on the puma but i dont want a headache all the time when im driving the car...any spacers on yours? Tnx

Bobby4Puma said:
Hmmm so just the front its rubbing? What about the rear? Do u think 205/45 R16 would be a better choice? I love the way 17inch rims look on the puma but i dont want a headache all the time when im driving the car...any spacers on yours? Tnx

When do you drive normally on full lock?
Whats the reason for the 40mm drop?

When i park the car i go on full lock...in and out of the parking spaces....and the 40mm drop? if i wont get coilovers most of the sport suspension and lowering springs offer a 40mm drop...and i think for street use its the best...the way it looks and how firm it is....why are u asking?what are u thinking of?

Bobby4Puma said:
When i park the car i go on full lock...in and out of the parking spaces....and the 40mm drop? if i wont get coilovers most of the sport suspension and lowering springs offer a 40mm drop...and i think for street use its the best...the way it looks and how firm it is....why are u asking?what are u thinking of?

Well full lock, as you say, you're only ever on it when pulling into tescos... Many here have 17's and just live with the very slow speed rub. So I wouldn't worry about it.
As Sparx said, 215 are the wrong tyres. You want 205/45 if you're using 17's and you will only get top rub if you're on country roads and being very exuberant.
With Street use, if its pot holes, expect rub on the alloys, worse cause of alloy damages and dents. If its just the odd dip and bump, I wouldn't worry using 17's on 40mm drop, but remember to keep the arch liners in to protect the tyre as theres a metal knife edge right about the tyre in the arch. No arch, lots of bumps and that knife edge will start shredding the tyre up.
Take confidence, My car generally sits on a 45mm drop with 17's and only Tesco rub. On track its down to 70mm and still no rub.

Ok tnx for the advice....should i use 205/45 or 205/40 ? did u use any spacers ? im not taking it to the track so it would be just for street use...thats why i dont wanna go to extreme and still be able to use it for everyday driving without worries...i wanna go with the oz superturismo 17s cause they look awesome but didnt want any rub or very low profile tyre and destroy the rim on the first pothole

Bobby4Puma said:
Ok tnx for the advice....should i use 205/45 or 205/40 ? did u use any spacers ? im not taking it to the track so it would be just for street use...thats why i dont wanna go to extreme and still be able to use it for everyday driving without worries...i wanna go with the oz superturismo 17s cause they look awesome but didnt want any rub or very low profile tyre and destroy the rim on the first pothole

My mistake, 205/40's
And yes I use spacers but it all depends what offset your alloys are.
Not really the right place to chat about this, this is Sparx's project thread.

Oh sorry u're right...initially i was asking her how the weels fit her car...ill pm u...tnx

Back