Which Brake Discs to Choose?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which From Below and why?

• Generic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EBC Turbo Grooved

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Black Diamond

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Please state)

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

grayfox

Will be used for track and road, not going for drilled but do want grooved, the dimpled with grooves don't seem bad as well, whats a good number of grooves to go for and style (straight/curved)? I seen 6 grooves all the way to Tarox 40 grooved G88.

Anyway seen the following discs for the following prices and need some opinions (cheapest first)

121225001196_3.jpg

121225004173_3.jpg

£89.99 (generic ebay)

160877790049_1.jpg

£138.03 EBC Turbo Grooved (and dimpled)

170940902311_1.jpg

£152.66 Black Diamond 6 Groove

I'd be sure to steer clear of the eBay generics, as there's not a huge difference in price between those and the Brembo's - those would be my choice.

JP88 said:
I'd be sure to steer clear of the eBay generics, as there's not a huge difference in price between those and the Brembo's - those would be my choice.

I was thinking the same then discovered the brembo's price are for the rears! can't seem to find fronts for the ST150 anywhere, seems strange there'd be available for rears but not fronts?

Taken brembo out of the poll and options as you can't get the max's or any grooved brembo disc for the front ST150 calipers.

You won't find Brembo as Brembo never produced the front discs for ST150. The rear you can find as they are the same as the Mk1 focus rear discs.
I guess ATE would have ST150 in offering...

I'm not fond of my Black Diamonds. I use my car for Trackdays and they are simply not up to the task. They fade too quick and they don't have enough braking force IMO. On my old 239mm's I had discs from Raptor (sold in Germany). They were expensive but absolutely brilliant. They did take time to warm up though. Most days the tyres are the limiting factor though.

The grooves on a "sports" disc are for water clearance and to help stop the pads from glazing
the drilled holes are to help cool the discs (I dont get what dimples do!)

Ive found the multi grooved (ie more than 6) wear pads at an alarming rate (under heavy use)
I have cheapo drilled + 6 grooves, which perform fine on track.
But... for road use (where the gritters go) I wouldnt use cheap stuff (they rust like mad and look awful)
Turbo grooves are a very clever disc (good metal/design), but expensive
For the road, I would go for EBCs or genuine Ford.

Yer gets what yer pay for...

I won't ever use EBC again.
Had a set on my 1st fiesta warped the disc.
On my 2nd fiesta they did a bit better until the pad separated from the backing plate :-(

Back