Which flywheel locking tool?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

As I`m about to swap my engines.
I`ll be doing a timing belt swap as I haven`t a clue of the new uns history.

Now last time I tried this with the engine out I was beaten by the VIB damper (crank pulley)
So, I have an engine stand, standing by (no pun intended) and will lock off the flywheel to crack the VIB.

My question is this, which of these locking tools will be best

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400320948809?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BGS-Tools-Flywheel-Locking-Tool-1771-/231235905333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d6bbe735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know the top one says `ford` but the bottom one seems to have more `grip` on the flywheel.
Advice greatly appreciated as the motor is coming out this weekend..

not sure the 2nd one will work, I have used the first one but requires a longer bolt and nut to get the tooth to reach into the starter apperture far enough to mesh into the flywheel

Neither are the corect tool for the job, but both wil probably work, if its just to Lock the crank to loosen the bolts :)

but i would stil get the right locking pin just to be safe whilst timing it up again :)

oh and make sure you look at gates guide re tensioner as i got it wrong the 1st time and broke the engine

8mm strip of ally from b n q will work for cam alingment but you will need the crank locking pin and a three leg puller for the front pulley

blow by blow account here :?
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats interesting Joe.
I hadn`t even considered doing this with the gearbox still in place.
It`ll be on an engine stand as there will be a couple of jobs to do on it. FRP cams, pump removal etc

I`ve been looking a little closer at the two (and other versions) and the 2nd one I`ve highlighted doesn`t quote Ford on it`s fitment list so it`ll be the first option.
I think I`ll get that ordered tonight..

I already have the timing pins and it`ll be locked at TDC using this tool.
That VIB is bloody tight!!
I have read up on timing belt tensioning and will follow Gates`s instuctions to the letter.
I swapped a worn tensioner only on the last engine with no issues..

(The engine failed because I was dropping to 2nd too early going into Shell Oils Corner at Oulton (70+mph!!) not due to any belt issues)

Hi Stu
You might need someone to hold the engine steady on the stand whilst you're trying to loosen it/tighten it, it's that tight!!!!
Barry

Hi Barry.
I`ll have a bloody work gang on hand when I have a go at that VIB bolt!!
And a huge length of scaffolding tube too..

You should also do it whitout the locking Tools for the cams, and crank, as they can get bent, brake, or worse :)

Ooh, nearly forgot, seeing as you don't have the vib damper tools don't forget to pull the vib damper back on with the old bolt and then use the new bolt to torque it up.
Barry

Back