Which Lambda sensor do I have?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

5848979669_0ed67800e8_b.jpg

5849544346_8aa73aef5c_b.jpg

The engine light is constantly on now with the lambda sensor at fault, after resetting the ECU the light comes back on after 10 or so miles, so it must be terminal, plus the car feels a little lumpy, and when pulling away (balancing the clutch) it coughs and splutters if I don't put 'too many' revs on.

I know there's a few different types, so thought it would be more straightforward to ask on here!

Also, how do I remove it? The only spanner I have that fits is too long and has no room to travel inside the engine bay. Is there a special tool or just a knack? Also it looks properly rusted onto the manifold, any tricks for this (manifold off etc)

Cheers

To do the job properly, you need a Lamda sensor socket, it's got a cut out in the side for the cable to go in. About a fiver off ebay or mega pennies from Halfords. The O2 sensor you want is one like you've already got (green plug). DON'T buy a "Universal" one off ebay, they're crap and you'll end up having the same problem soon after.

To get the sensor out, use the proper socket and be firm but patient, it's probably been in there since the car was new.

Wicked, off to search ebay for the proper tool!

Anyone know of the part number for the sensor, or will Ford know which one my car needs>

Thanks

are you sure its the pre cat lambda? there are two on later ones pre and post cat green and blue

Hehe cheers for that Steve!

Just called ford, they want £158.28 inc. VAT for each sensor. So am looking elsewhere! (unless that is a good price, in which case I will buy one this month and one the next). Looked on Transitparts ebay shop and they don't appear to have them listed.

Will sensors from other ford cars fit or are they Puma specific? Will have a google around at home and try to find another supplier. Do I just need to look for either a Puma 1.7 one, or are there different ones based on age etc? I also presume that both sensors are 'Green Square' plug ones. Will 'any' green square plug ones fit?

How much of an a*se is the cat sensor to get to?

Sorry for the questions, been stung before buying the wrong car parts!

Nothing listed there :-(

Would whipping it out and cleaning it wuth some contact cleaner sort it? Or has it reached the end of it's useful life?

beko1987 said:
Nothing listed there :-(

Would whipping it out and cleaning it wuth some contact cleaner sort it? Or has it reached the end of it's useful life?

there probably wont be use the parts request form though and they will quote you

Just go buy a universal Bosch one. They come with a connector block all seals and crimps. Easy to fit and will work on a puma. Not had any problems with mine but it was a while back so don't have the part nos for you. Think it came in at bout 45.

And no, cleaning it will do nout mate unfortunately.

Cheers for the help guys.

Think I've cracked it. I presume 330447498818 is the one by the cat, and 270600377006 is the manifold one? The man at Platts said the one by the cat has a longer cable, is this true or is it something I can sort out with some wire and spade connectors?

Hi Guys.

Sorry to drag this up but still having problems! I sent the original two back, and bought a Bosch one from Euro Car Parts (with the 25% discount), but the connector plugs are still different!

Looking http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/partsearch/az2.asp?manu=Ford (scroll down to Puma), I have the same connector plug on my sensor as a 1.6 engine, even though my engine is 1.7. So, do I...

1 - Cut the cables on my new sensor and the old one, and crimp them back together? (I spoke to my stepdad about it and he seemed to think I would have electrical problems due to it

2 - Buy a 1.6 sensor with the correct plug?

If number one, could anyone recommend anything to connect the cables together if spade connectors would be unsuitable? I have tried to dismantly the plugs but can't seem to get the pins out, is it do-able or will I ruin the plug by trying harder?

Thanks guys, really want my engine light to go off now!

Good morning Folks
my Ford puma failed its MOT due to emissions I now need to replace these two sensors. I have established that the one mounted to the engine is green and the one under near the car -near the cata converter is blue. Where I can I purchase these please. Is Ebay the best place. the sensor underneath has this number 156F-9G44L-AA is this the part number I need to order now? I dont want to buy teh wrong thing as I need these pretty much asap

I'm pretty sure those codes aren't part numbers. Ford part numbers are called FINNIS numbers.

If ever I want a part but need to make sure I get the one, I ring Ford. Give them the car details and what you need and ask them for a price of the parts and for the part/FINNIS numbers.

Then you'll have the correct part/FINNIS numbers to get the parts cheaper elsewhere....

Hmmm, I've never heard of lambda sensors causing MOT failure. If the eml light isn't on, there usually isn't a problem with them. Give the car a good hoon, and get it nice & warm for the MOT. I do it with diesel's, take them down a country road and give them hell up hill.

Obviously if the car is smoking black it's overfueling very bad, if it's blue, then the engine is burning oil. If it's blue it'll never pass.

Latest posts

Back