Whirring in 2nd/3rd/4th gear change.... Could it be....?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v0y4ger

Hi All,

just wondered if I could get a bit of advice. My Puma had a new clutch fitted by the previous owner some 12 months ago. Lately, when I'm changing from 2nd to 3rd to 4th etc I can hear a light whirring... :? This has only started within the last few weeks.

If I dip the clutch the whirring fades away. A friend of mine said it could be the thrust bearing and that it didn't need an immediate change.. BUT it would need doing eventually.

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what it might be and/or costing to get this fixed. I've got a pile of stuff to do before the MOT, strut mountings, brake discs, exhaust and a 12mm chip in the windscreen... the list continues... the last owner didn't love the car very much :shock:

slave cylinder/thrust bearing

might aswell change the clutch whilst your at it, cost will basically be for a new clutch, between 200-400 depending on where you go

was the complete clutch changed or just plate and cover?sounds like slave cylinder bearing is going so change COMPLETE clutch..

Clutch release bearing - mine goes quiet when clutch pedal pushed down too, most Pumas do it, and if it aint broke - then dont try to fix it.

The release bearing would be makin a noise in every gear, not just certain gears. It could be the slave cylinder but to be fair your far better gettin a pro to give it a look buddy

yeh, if its the release / thrust bearing it will whirr / grumble a little everytime your foot isnt on clutch....usually only hear it when car is stationary at idle..press clutch and it goes away. if you can put the stereo on at a normal volume & not hear it then dont worry..its pretty normal! just get WHOLE clutch (inc bearing) done next time.

if its only whirring (& then maybe some grinding) as you put it into individual gears then its the synchro ring attached to that gear (ie mine gets a fair bit of abusive and the synchro into 3rd is a bit knackered and if i force it really quickly itl grind a little)

if its whirring at a certain road speed or rev speed (ie gets louder the higher the revs / car speed) its the bearings on the input shaft (rev speed) or bearings on the main shaft or diff (road speed)

but if it isnt noisier than the stereo i wouldnt loose sleep over it just yet....

Back