who the.. hey the... what the...?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo1051

Okay, so 18 days into the ownership of my first Puma (luvit) I took her? out to take my son into town this sunny morning. As we drove smoothly along, I noticed coming towards me a vision in green! The sun bouncing off the bonnet in a myriad of green metallic shimmers. Another Puma. As we glided by, the fella behind the wheel gave a knowing and brotherly wave! Too late I gave a half arsed wave back. Sonny jim next to me queried ' did that man just wave at you?
'Yes' I proclaimed, ' that's just what we do'
Truth is I was caught unawares, never having had a wave from Astra, Metro or indeed Mini drivers in the past.
So, if it was you driving in Ware Rd, Hoddesdon this morning abour 11a.m, I apologise, and will try and do better next time. If it wasn't you and you see a George Clooney lookalike ( well, chubby and grey haired bloke) in a silver cat waving at you a little too enthusiastically, don't be afraid)
Onto other matters. Rear trailing arm bushes deteriorated o/s and n/s ( MOT test advisory - no excessive movement -next MOT March 2015 - 2001, 1.6 body - 1.7 engine)
Big job? Bushes only or trailer arms complete with bushes ( are these even available and if so where and likely cost? I've seen bushes alone are readily available at reasonable cost) Something that needs doing sooner rather than later?
Any advice welcome...

Rear beam bushes?

Can do it DIY. Not necessarily a big job depending on what tools you have.

There is a special tool to remove/press in original bushes. They also have a right/wrong way they go in.
If you haven't got a special tool you can cut out the rubber middle with a hole saw then hacksaw through the bush casing. After that it's possible to hammer it out with a chisel or like tool, unless you've managed to cut it right through then it should almost fall out. This way is easy but very physically demanding so if you don't have much stamina, eat plenty of weetabix beforehand. You'll need them.

Other than standard bushes there's polyurethane.
Can make the rear firmer, but a piece of p*ss to fit. With a little copper grease they push in by hand.

:cool: good to hear of your wave experience!

For bushes as above, I had them fitted for me and they weren't excessive.

As said, not too difficult with the right equipment.Here's one of many guides how to do it if you fancy having a try.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also there's no differences in the body/chassis between 1.6 and 1.7 :wink:

Thanks for the advice. Not sure I could cope with the stress of getting the bushes out. Just spent an hour trying to remove the radio from my son's Corsa, having spent a tenner on removal keys....and failed! Just need the serial number for a radio code! so my nerves are frayed from that.. :'(
Maybe bushes can go on long finger for now

Hi Tommo, i'm in Hoddesdon too :grin:

I'll start waving like a nutter at all silver Puma's, surprisingly quite a few round here but lots dont wave :cry:
They just look at you like some sort of nut job, which is fair comment, I am :p

Its not a massively horrible job, the ebay bush pullers do work, from my experience the studding lasts one pair of bushes
and then is pretty much crapped out.

Other than full poly bushes you could fit the heavy duty ones from a Ford Courier. Do a part search on Euro's for your puma bushes and they will show up. Dont have the metal casing so wont seize in :) .

Hi Ianc,
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay. Currently in tenerife living it up :p
When I get back, if I ever get back ( french air traffic control strike-bothered!) Perhaps I can give u a shout re bush replacement just for advice?
I'll wave on regardless from now on!

Hi Tommo,

Hope you are enjoying your Holiday. Not jelous at all, sat here in my dull office! :p

No worries, happy to help if I can, drop me a message when you are back. :)

Back