Whole car shakes???

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mog9166

Hi
I'm a bit worried this is more that just tracking or wheel balancing. My husband borrowed my car and since I have had a shake on accelerating. Of course he has denied hitting anything! Not as bad if your poodling up to 20-30mph, but a quick overtake is impossible. Its not just the steering wheel the whole car shakes. As I said driving like you havnt a care in the world and no where to be its hardly noticable, but its difficult to get over 45, creeps to 50-55 and, although the powers there she wobbles and shakes so much you cant go any faster. I think things are going to start falling off. Ineed my car to get to work and Ive only a short bit of motor way to use and if it wasnt for that bit.....when you are going slower it does feel like balancing. I am a driver of 30 odd years, know Ive got to get it seen to, but can it wait til pay day?
thanx
Maria

Sounds like you have at least one CV joint that needs replacing. There's a bearing arrangement inside them that wears over time.
Its probably just coincidence that its decided to give up the ghost when your husband borrowed it.

I had bad vibration on acceleration, but was even worse when turning to the left at the same time. Then it was horrendous to the extend where I could barely hold on to the steering wheel!

I jacked up the front and turned the hubs back and forth. The drivers side CV joint was knocking as I did this and could see the 'play' in the joint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsodrpUN_fQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23626&hilit=Vibration+when+turning

Hold everything. Firstly thank you for your replys
When driving to and from work today, rather than just deal with the shake and get to work, I played about a bit to be more specific on the symptoms. Now I know I said the steering shakes, when I actually tried to pin point where it starts, the steering doesn't move at all, not a tremor. It's the gear lever and my
ight sound daft, I can feel it juddering under my feet! If I really try and keep the gear knob as still as I can, I can accelerate again until it comes too much to hold still. Also it is definately worse in the morning driving to work than driving home. Why I dont know, its not as if we've got frosty mornings.
Hope this helps makes everything clearer and thank you for taking the time to help me.

Maria

I had a similar thing that you describe when I had a problem with the gear box what happened to me was my clutch had been replaced 6 weeks before then driving one day changed gear and there was a bit if a noise and then violent shaking turned out I had a hole in my gearbox from a shoddy clutch change

Hope it's not that! Unlikely!

Check your lower gearbox mount hasn't become unbolted or loose and that its in good condition

OOOo Hope not!!

I meant to say there are no strange noises coming from anywhere, no grinding, clonking nothing. Changing gear is fine as is the clutch.

Thanx again

Your shure it's running on all 4, and isn''t skipping out on one when you accsselerate? Could feel like the car shakes, and would transfer trough the gir Box.

It would also explain the sudden unnexpected onsett, as the coil pacs can do just that, fail whitout warning.

It would stil be able to idle just fine if it's early :)

I think I would be looking at a mounting before anything else, sounds as though one or maybe two are loose or on their last legs.

Well she's been to the doctors and it's not good.....new n/s drive shaft need I'm afraid :-( :(
With this, what I know is needed for the impending MOT (let alone what I don't know), the ongoing problem oil leak and Tax due think it might be a very upsetting goodbye! :'(

No no... don't kill it... you don't need an entire drive shaft do you? You probably only nees one of the cv joints, did they say wich one was broken?

Drive shafts are cheap to get and eurocar spares is usually the best for price if you want to save a few quid. Where on the engine is the oil coming from?

Its the n/s. Someone said I could probably do it. I can get hold of one for about £20-£30. I'm not naive to working on a car. I know what a spanner is. In my day I've stripped and put back together my motor bike (not totaly but near enough and a few years ago) Done my own servicing on my cars. Replaced (not onthis car) alternators, starter motors and a new water pump once. Plus these days Ive got youtube to help.

I'm still driving the car so I'm presuming its not the complete shaft.

Before I had the car, someone had tried doing god knows to the engine, leaving it, literally with a crack and hole. My guy keeps plugging and sealing it best he can, but I had notice its started dripping again. All I've done since I had her is spend, I just don't think I can afford it all this time. Really wish I could. Me and her are connected. The date of her 1st registration is my birthday, how much more do you need to bond with a car?

So give me your thoughts. Ive had her cam belt done, water pump, new exhaust, wishbones, (bushes needed for mot this year advised last year) every gasket i think possible trying to find the oil leak before the hole was spotted. I'm mid looking at electrics atm, bulbs keep going. The headlight wasnt the bulb 2 wires had melted together, repaired that but never found the cause. Thats started working when it feels like it again. High beam (flashers) sticks had that all off the steering, cleaned, didnt help. While doing that the hazzard lights now wont click off, missed a clip, but had an indicator and wiper stalk assembly coming anyway and gotta find out why my fog light doesnt work any more. On top of that need 2 new tyres for mot + anything else. On the plus the wipers work! There thats it for now

Well I've finally had a bit of luck with her....might be a turning point. Also wary of my garage and my husband now. (he's the one who took it to be looked at and came back with the drive shaft problem)

When I went back and said I was going to have a go myself it appears she hadnt even been looked at just talked about. On closer inspection my husband had broke her....my wheels were bent!
I knew 2 were a bit buckled when i got her. But when he borrowed her to take my son to work no-one mentioned the road resurfacing that was going on and the 2 raised man holes that he failed to see!!!

So... I mentioned my plight on facebook and I ended up with a very nice lad who had 4 alloys with almost new tyres and he came and put them on for me, all for £100. He'd got them for his puma but it badly failed its mot and was being scrapped. So I had the indicator stalk unit off him as well.
He'd already sold his headlights , so at the breakers got the wiring for my headlight. MOT still failed but only on the fog lamp switch and offside rear position lamp.
Who'd of thought??
Now.,.how do I get to the fog light switch and whats the rear position lamp!!!?? lol
Oh I'm so happy :)

The rear position lamp = your back light - I was fooled by this on a Volvo I had. The computer put up the message "position light". My first thought was "What position is light?" :oops:

All done.....fog lights was the fuse. So got her for another year, And all the work done by me.

Thank you everyone for all your help - no doubt it wont be long before I'm back

Maria

Back