Why the world needs a new ford puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z-fella

Came across this article and thought I'd post it up.

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Matthew-Bird/blogs/index.cfm/2012/4/13/Why-the-world-needs-a-new-Ford-Puma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In 2012, the motoring world has gone coupe crazy; the Toyobaru twins have been unanimously well received, Honda's new NSX project appears to be going from strength to strength and there's even talk of a new Nissan 200SX, which has to please the drifter in all of us.
However, what is currently lacking from news desks globally is any kind of rumour about one of my favourite coupes from the past, and one which undoubtedly deserves rejuvenation; the Ford Puma. I'm sure I don't need to bore you with the history of this wonderful little car, as its name should evoke fondness in the ears of every enthusiast. Pretty, affordable, funky and fun, it was everything its direct rival from Vauxhall (the Tigra) wasn't and, more worryingly for Ford, possessed all the virtues so maddeningly absent from its Cougar big brother. If you are ignorant to the abilities of this glorious little Ford, enter 'Old Top Gear Ford Puma' into YouTube. It's the one with Clarkson, Needell and Wilson. Two minutes of TV gold...
And I believe now is the perfect time to resurrect the Puma; not just to make Ford a bit of extra cash, but because they already have the ingredients to make a fantastic version of it for the 2010s. In no particular order, they are:
Firstly, a great Fiesta chassis to base it on. Ever since the Mk 4 that the first Puma was created from, Fiestas have been at the top of the supermini class for driving pleasure. The current Mk 7 is no different, receiving plaudits and accolades throughout the motoring press. So there you have underpinnings sorted.
Power it with EcoBoost engines. The new one-litre triple from Ford is a piece of engineering genius, and would fit a new Puma like a tailored suit. Light, efficient and brimming with character, it also puts out the same amount of power in its higher state of tune (123bhp) as the original 1.7 did. Who said the car industry can't progress? Moreover, there has to be the possibility of the 1.6 EcoBoost to make a Puma ST also, given its Fiesta underpinnings.
Personalisation is key. Citroen (C3 and DS3) and Fiat (Panda and 500) have proved that you can make people pay more for a base product if it is more stylised and offers a greater scope for individualisation. I don't wish to make a handbag of the new Fiesta-based Puma, as it should remain a driving device to its core, but there must be some revenue to be had through colour and upholstery options?
Make it look good!. Just look at the Range Rover Evoque. It has proved, more than any car recently, that exterior appearance brings the punters in. The existing Fiesta is a really modern and appealing little car, so surely the transition to a small coupe can't be too hard? And if you're really struggling, Ford, I'm sure Ian Callum might have another crack at the whip.
Now think about it. You want one of these, don't you? Fiesta architecture so it's cheap but fun to drive, the very latest in engine technology to keep money in your pocket but a smile on your face and a recommendation for a small coupe that isn't a damn Scirocco! No need to thank me Ford, just send me my ST in Imperial Blue...

It'll never happen.....

....but if it does, I'll have one please :eek:k:

Not sure how i feel about a new puma, especially if they tried to make a new racing puma, i dont think it would ever have the character of the old puma. When people try to recreate something like this, they tend to get it wrong. I think they would be better to come out with a new model. They can base it on the fiesta again, give it some sporty looks and va va voom, but dont call it a puma.

It will be like the Honda CRX, they will never touch the old CRX with the new one, so they called it a CR-Z.

So, basically, you propose it to be called pum-b? :grin: :grin: :grin: :wink: :wink: :p

Unfortunatelly, Ford in Europe is bleeding at the moment. There was a plan of reviving capri, but I think that is put on hold also, because FoE is loosing money big time.....

PumaNoob said:
Not sure how i feel about a new puma, especially if they tried to make a new racing puma, i dont think it would ever have the character of the old puma. When people try to recreate something like this, they tend to get it wrong. I think they would be better to come out with a new model. They can base it on the fiesta again, give it some sporty looks and va va voom, but dont call it a puma.

It will be like the Honda CRX, they will never touch the old CRX with the new one, so they called it a CR-Z.

Totally agree...

Latest posts

Back