Advice please on removing Puma 1.7 front wishbone CARRIERS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumasomething

I need to remove the carriers and anti roll bar - complete with wishbones (I realise that the anti-roll drop links and lower ball joints have to be disconnected).

On the driver's side it looks straightforward, there seem to be 3 bolts securing the carrier. However, on the passenger side there is an additional plate with four bolts - one of which overlaps the corner of the wishbone carrier. Is it necessary to remove this smaller plate to allow the wishbone carrier to be removed ? It looks like something to do with an engine 'steady' arm.

Thank you for any responses.

Can you post up a picture of what you are describing ?
Not too sure what you are talking about :?

Hello something..
The 'wishbone carrier' you describe is the front subframe.
Why do you need to remove it?
The reason I ask is that most jobs can be done wth it in situ, and to refit it correcty, you will need some allignment pins, which are like hens teeth!
To remove the subframe, you need to remove the triangular plate, torque link, gearchange linkage and exhaust. then its just 3 bolts either side.
But my original question remains. Why?

Also, what's a steady arm?

Thanks for your interest. Sorry, can't see how to upload a picture! I want to change the wishbone bushes / lower ball joint. However, I cannot remove the front bush bolts (totally seized / rusted / rounded) on the wishbone. In the Ford Ka/Fiesta manuals in talks about (easily) removing the wishbone carrier complete with wishbone which would be give easier access to sawing through the front bush bolt on the bench.

This looks straightforward on the driver side (held by 3 vertical bolts?) but is partially covered on the passenger side by another plate which looks to be something to do with an engine stabiliser rod. I didn't want any to remove this if it is under load /causes the engine to shift which might be difficult to re-align with my limited garage facilities!

don't worry about the lower engine mount.
its not fitted in algnment. Youll see, its quite soft rubber.
Refitting your own subframe shouldn't be a problem if you put lots of little marks (tippex or nail varnish) and line all the marks back up before tightening.
Oh yes, I forgot the steering rack. Just unbolt it from the subframe leaving it attatched to everything else.

You can saw through the seized bolts with a small hacksaw. It takes a while but definitely quicker than taking the whole subframe out!

Been there, sworn at that... :lol:

It sounds as if - despite the Puma being Fiesta / Ka based - this part of its construction is rather different.

I've been looking at the idea of buying something like this to quickly saw through the corroded wishbone bolt:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-con850-reciprocating-saw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, have earlier version of Fiesta manual but also have the Ka manual which I thought would be the same. However, after closer inspection I see that what appeared to be separate 'carriers' from the underside are in fact part of one integral subframe.

Ka`s are a design one off. very few parts are compatible.
though people have put the 1.7 vct engine in it!

I would look at other ways of getting your bolt out first.
The reciprocating saw you have found, is a constuction tool and wouldn`t really do the job.

Back