Fuel Pump again

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikmanmosquito

Fuel pump has packed up on my Puma, car hasn't turned a wheel for a few years, anyhow nothing wrong with sender and I can buy pumps on their own without, is it an easy enough job to separate the pump from the sender on the Puma/Fiesta?

My guess is yes. Ford lists the pump part separately ( https://www.catcar.info/ford/ ) suggesting it is replaceable/removable from the sender/pump assembly. There's lots of sellers on eBay listing the pump on its own which is used in Fiesta (and probably others) as well. Get the rear seat out (remember - rear seat needs to be pulled UP at the middle-rear) and open the tank, have a look. Usual cautions/warnings apply - lots of ventilation, no naked flames, battery -ve terminal off etc.

Doesn't the fuel tank on a Puma have to be dropped to get at the fuel pump?

I was assuming you could get at it under rear seat, but you may well be right - which makes it a much less fun job.

No access to the fuel pump from under the rear seat, but pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard to find a grommet/cover from another car and make one!

Unfortunately these pumps no not like being left unused for long periods.

Tank has to be dropped and the fuel feed/return pipes need to be disconnected.

Pumps alone can be changed without swapping the sender.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/441590261 but check the fitment is correct for your car!

Removing the rear tank I found easy until one of the two bolt nuts span as they are inside a small covered section on the body.

Whoever did mine before I owned it cut the metal under the rear seat and just left it there with a few plastic bags to stop it cutting the seat up. I had to drop the tank and weld it back together.

Its a great idea to get a look at the brake pipes under there and check for rot.

Latest posts

Back