ABS again... MOT tomorrow! :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcp

Hi all, in my typical well planned out lifestyle, I am needing advice at the final moment.

Bought a milli with ABS lights not working a few weeks ago, had issues with my last puma and its ABS so knew sensors were a common failure, fixed that one with some 11 quid sensors off ebay.

Did the same thing this time as at least 1 front sensor was defo duff. So two of china's finest ABS sensors turn up, and they are fitted pronto. I changed the LED's in the cluster to replace the previous monkeys bodge job of smashing them so they dont work.

Fitting went well, clipped back in correctly, cables nice and firm in the sockets, even cleaned them too. Took it for a spin round the block, feeling cocky, waiting for the light to come off around 15mph.... and they didnt.

So today was the only day I could get off (tomorrow also... MOT day!) I removed the sensors, checked them, one was 990ohms, t'other was 1003 ohms, so thought sod it, I'll get some ATE ones from work, pay the proper price and be done with it. These measured a much healther 1066 ohms, both identical. Rear sensors read 1034, again both identical. I cleaned the rear drum rings and sensors, both are spotless now. Front ABS rings look fine, both sensors have a air gap of no more than 2mm.

Aaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddddd the ABS lights are still on. :( Fuses are fine, is there any other common problem apart from the pump?

I know im wasting money by just replacing things willy nilly, but the pump is my last idea, theres one local, known working BUT, its from a 1.4, im guessing this isnt going to work as mine has traction control also, does the 1.4's ecu control this also?

Any help is muchly appreciated!!!

The ABS rings can get a little bent out of shape, it dont take much to put it out of range of the sensor. It would be better if you could put it on a diagnostics machine and find out exactly which sensor/sensors are at fault, the standard and cheaper diagnostics machines dont work to read the abs and airbag problems. Other then making sure the gap between the ABS ring and sensor are correct, and the sensor is sitting flat, i dont know what else to suggest.

I'll whip the wheels off in the morning, im hoping I'll be ok just carefully levering the ring closer to the sensor with a flat bladed screwdriver and turning the disc, is there any problem with having the ring very very very close to the sensor? Now you mention it, on my old puma I did actually have to lever part of it back into shape, as getting the old sensor out was a right pain.

If all else fails, I shall take the car anyway, the place Im going has snap on diagnostics, if the pump/ecu has failed, would there just be a connection or read error?

Cheers!

Just a thought, iirc, the ABS ecu is fitted at the rear of the ABS pump. Have you checked the connector going onto the ABS ecu connector in case it has got corroded due to water ingress?
The light won't go out if you have excessively high resistance , so that may be worth a try.

Back