leak in gearbox ????????

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mix2000

Hi all. Just noticed leak from both driveshaft seals, so being of sound mind and body decided to replace them. Job done. Had just about 2L of 75W90 put in and noticed oil pissing out the bellhousing. Thing is, between the car being jacked up with the drives out and the leak, there should be little or no oil in the box and should be room for 0.8 of a litre at least, is there is some sort of overflow? Or WTF is going on?

only thing in there is the clutch release bearing...which is powered by hydraulic oil from the braking servo.....bet its leaking....on top of the bell housing you can see the connectors...if theyv got no oil around them then its the piston in the clutch release bearing and you need a new one...and while the gearbox is off may as well do whole clutch.....

also check the breather plug on the top of the housing, needs pushing down hard even if it looks like its in usually it isnt

jacko said:
only thing in there is the clutch release bearing...which is powered by hydraulic oil from the braking servo.....bet its leaking....on top of the bell housing you can see the connectors...if theyv got no oil around them then its the piston in the clutch release bearing and you need a new one...and while the gearbox is off may as well do whole clutch.....

Sorry it is gearoil coming out not brake fluid.

Trouble is, the level didn't even come out the filler hole. Am I wrong or is the fill level not below the input shaft seal level? Bear in mind I haven't started it yet.

ScubaSteve said:
also check the breather plug on the top of the housing, needs pushing down hard even if it looks like its in usually it isnt

Would this cause an airlock and result in a leak ?

input shaft seal then....thats all it could be

fill plug is below input shaft but oil gets thrown around gearbox

breather may be not on properly or facing the wrong way.....

jacko said:
input shaft seal then....thats all it could be

fill plug is below input shaft but oil gets thrown around gearbox

breather may be not on properly or facing the wrong way.....

No oil has been thrown around yet as I haven't started the car.
The oil level doesn't even reach the fill plug level before pissing out.
Before the shafts were replaced the oil level was below the splines and at just under 2 litres put in started running out the bellhousing. Even if I had a faulty input seal there would be some resistance and it would reach a higher level.
Has anyone a pic of the bellhousing inside or diagram to see if there is any cast plugs or other possible joints/seams.

aaahhhh hol on....

the driveshaft seals.....you dont knock them all the way in.....just far enough to seal....which is a pain to judge!!!!

jacko said:
aaahhhh hol on....

the driveshaft seals.....you dont knock them all the way in.....just far enough to seal....which is a pain to judge!!!!

Yeah there not the first I've put in. But my prob isn't the seals, they are fine. 'Tis sickly smelling trans oil coming out the bottom of the bellhouse as i'm putting it in.

the only way that would ever happen was if the inside of the box was cracked?! just to check your topping the box up though the 8mm Allen key plug on the front of the box?!

STEAVIE said:
the only way that would ever happen was if the inside of the box was cracked?! just to check your topping the box up though the 8mm Allen key plug on the front of the box?!

Yaarrp, that be the case.
Just wonderin if there is any core/cast plugs in the bottom of the bell house?
Anyone know?

nope, its all solid bar the input shaft seal...weird one this.

prob some damage etc.....

its above the diff (bulge at back of gearbox) and wont leak.....

This level is how much I can put in without a leak.
26062010206acopy.jpg

The leak comes straight out the bottom of bellhouse as quick as I can put it in.
26062010207.jpg

Gonna spend the rest of the weekend pulling this apart. :evil:

martinthrapston said:
it seems like you have a crack in the housing as judging by the line you have drawn its well below the input shaft....
Yup, hope its not too bad, got some Loctite aluminium Epoxy to try before a new Box.

Latest posts

Back