Roughly how much for a clutch change?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beko1987

Just wondering roughly how much a clutch change is? Mr Clutch have quoted me £225, but have been very put off by bad reviews, so don't mind spending a few quid extra somewhere else!.

So, a few scenario's...

Supply & Fit clutch
I supply Clutch, they fit it.
Garage supply parts & Fit: Clutch, Master &/or slave cylinder
I supply parts and the above!

Mainly interested in the first 2, the second 2 are sort of 'if it's not too expensive, and whilst it's all apart I'll do it'.

Car's at 103,500 and the clutch is slipping! Been trying to boot it from 40 on sliproads in 4th/5th, and it just slips and revs. Same at higher speeds too. Also have it idle at 1.5-2k revs to pull away, and it's still a bit juddery. Still driving ok though if I remember not to push all the torques through at a time, and be gentle!

Hoping it'll last another two paydays though!

Take care when overtaking. Ford charged me around £350 iirc 3 years ago but I wouldn't touch Mr Clutch with a bargepole. A recommended local garage would probably be your cheapest option.

Yea, I've been looking through the recommended garages thread and have one in Witney and one in Slough to call tomorrow. Will also ask my local man.

IIRC, I rang Platts of Marlow up about 3 months ago for a clutch, and they said something like £660 all in! Shall only be using them for the parts department from now on, although may ask about a small service so I can have something stamped in the book.

Just re-read my first post too, it's not as bad as I put it yet! 80% of the time it will drive fine, boot or no boot. Done 3k with it so far. The other 20% it may only happen once, or I may have troubles on hills!

Saw a thread on Detailing World of an exploded clutch in a Volvo S40 and want to change it before that happens though! Smashed the bellhousing.

I managed to keep mine going for 20k with a bit of TLC. It was so good to be able to put my foot down without having to worry after I had it replaced!!

wow, i've jsut asked the same question on 'the other site'. Mines slipping when pulling off and at the biting point. Do you know how much as standard clutch from fords is? I haven't had chance to visit them yet. :-(

Midnight Blue said:
I managed to keep mine going for 20k with a bit of TLC. It was so good to be able to put my foot down without having to worry after I had it replaced!!

My clutch is a std and by the looks on the books its never been changed and the cars done 72K miles! what the heck are you doing to the clutch to make it wear out at 20k! j/k :D

beko1987 said:
Just re-read my first post too, it's not as bad as I put it yet! 80% of the time it will drive fine, boot or no boot. Done 3k with it so far. The other 20% it may only happen once, or I may have troubles on hills!

Saw a thread on Detailing World of an exploded clutch in a Volvo S40 and want to change it before that happens though! Smashed the bellhousing.

ooh, i'm glad for you, hun...it's a bit unnerving, aint it?? but, flissy's taken me this far...as soooooon as i can, i'll get her sorted...i love my car...she's such a joy...even when she aint well, she just keeps on truckin'...(which is quite something considering i went wrong up some evil fenland dyke track today...for someone trying not to knacker their car/clutch, it was not a good start! lol)
t xx

Xrion236 said:
Midnight Blue said:

My clutch is a std and by the looks on the books its never been changed and the cars done 72K miles! what the heck are you doing to the clutch to make it wear out at 20k! j/k :D

20k after it started slipping!! It was on 70k when I had it replaced. I bought the car with 50k on the clock and it started slipping soon after !!

Looking at the Ford OWM part, it's only about £70, so if the garage charges me more than that for the part then I will supply it! Will call around later and post up the quotes.

For all intents and purposes my clutch has done over 103k, so not too bad! Bonus pay end of feb so 2 more paychecks!

Right. Called up 2 garages and:

Kernahan of Witney - Replacing New for Old (?), supplying parts, vat included...£483.81. Tempting!

JJ Motor Repairs, Slough - Called them up, and he asked me if my car was a petrol or Diesel so hung up. I like to have confidence in where I entrust my car.

Shame £483 is £17 shy of half of what I paid for the car! (£1k), love it too much to not get the clutch done though...

Lol - Ford (Perrys) of High Wycombe:

Labor inc. VAT - £562
Clutch - £95.76
New Cylinder (he didn't elaborate) - £71
New Modified Tubing (?) - £60.

He said plus fluids etc I'm looking at about £300 labour, so all in - £788.76!

Discuss :lol: Liking Witney atm. Although someone at work is 'going to have a word with his house mate who's brother is a mechanic' etc, so will update with that price!

What's this 'Modified Tube' all about?

beko1987 said:
Kernahan of Witney - Replacing New for Old (?), supplying parts, vat included...£483.81. Tempting!

I paid a lot more for my 1.7 clutch at that very garage - that's not a bad price.

I can't find the thread about when I got my clutch done, and I am not digging all through the car paperwork, but I am pretty sure parts and labour combined came to c.£300. {This will have been a year ago - and was the LUK clutch that Ford use, and the new slave etc}.

It was a good rate and good (local/independent) garage - so I expect some variation, but these places that seem to be up to/around the £500 mark are surely having a laugh...?

Neil said:
beko1987 said:

I paid a lot more for my 1.7 clutch at that very garage - that's not a bad price.

That's nice to hear some good feedback. At the moment, my choice is them! Someone may turn round and say they'll do it for £200, but will I only get £200 worth of work?!

Still got a month or so before I can afford it so will keep looking around anyway.

Was my thoughts too, as it's only a couple hour job max iirc as that's what the guy said who done mine. So clutch and slave cylinder for £100 and 4 hours max at say what?..£50 max? so that should be around £300.

Luckily I got my clutch etc, cambelt kit etc, rear brakes, bearings all round, wishbones/bushes, drop links and radiator all fitted in one go for £350 (Well, I had to go back to get the cambelt kit done later but was an all in price). That was for 2 guys for a full day and one guy for half a day.

Pays to have a sensible mechanic who will do a load of work in one fell swoop and then charge a fixed price for the lot - not charge you by the hour as it would've probably been nearly double that at a franchised garage who are 'supposed' to be the best for your specific car...NOT!.

EDIT:- Paying more or less for it to be fitted does not necessarily mean you'll get a better or worse job done. Ford charge too much and often the job carried out is substandard....same goes for vauxhall as I can vouch for them idiots myself!!

If your happy with the garage and the price then go for it. No point going elsewhere if your not 100% sure of the job that your paying for ;)

Latest posts

Back