New remote central locking key (it flips out :-D)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
:D

key_closed.jpg

key_open.jpg

I thought it was time to get a spare as the old one looks a bit tired and might be given to the second driver of the Puma!

The new one is from a Jaguar, it is a flip key which I think is very cool!

The unlock/lock/boot release buttons all work well
The key starts the car.
The key unlocks the doors manually.

A few things to bare in mind if you are considering this:

Most importantly the Jaguar uses a blue PATs chip, you will need to replace this with a red PATs chip.
Secondly, there is some modification required to replace the PATs chip.
You'll need the blade to be blank to get it cut.
To program it to open the doors it will need to be cut (or have another key that turns the ignition to put it into training mode).
To program the PATs to start the car you will need 2 keys which already start the car (I had my buttonless spare and my RCL key)

If you need any other info please just ask, happy to pass on anything which might be useful!

It can be very addictive flipping back and forth!!

*note the 4th jaguar button used to turn the lights on is functionless on a puma
**yes you can do this with the later focus 3 button flip key.

Thats a nice little mod, im jelous. Little unusual mods i love i would never of even contemplated doing that

:thumbs:

Bare in mind last time I asked Ford for a RCL standard fob it was £80 or more..

The key was from an eBay seller.
He was quite useful as the keys are blank AND he can include a red PATs chip (but he won't fit it for you)
I fitted the PATs myself and programmed step 1 the remote central locking to ensure that worked.
I got the blade cut at a Ford Dealership.
Straight out of the Ford dealership I had my 3 keys and programmed the key to the ignition to start it (by myself).

Cost:

Blank Jaguar key with red PATs including postage £35
Blade cut at Fords £5
Programming the key £Free
Total: £40

So technically you could do 2 keys for the price Ford charge for one!

Bargain!

Remember to program it to start the car you need 2 already working keys to do it yourself else you will need Ford to do it and I do not know how much they would charge. (Might help if you knew someone there I guess!)

Oh i'm also not sure if £5 is the going rate for key cutting as the bloke in Fords seemed to make it up after I handed him the blank.

Nice one! Shame I've only the one key to start with or you could have done me one :D

I like my ford one, though the badge has fallen off. I dont like the jaguar logo, they lost it when they replaced the leaping cat with the cats head. Of course, the reason why they can have a spike on the front of a car is quite obvious.

You can use the Ford (focus, c-max, s-max etc) flip key in just the same way; that fob only has 3 buttons too inline with the original fob. It's slightly more expensive though and i was doing it on a budget ;)

An update to my 'only one key with my Puma' situation...thanks to all of those who gave help & advice.

Just to let you know, in case any of you have the same problem:

I bought 2 remote locking keys with new blades off E Bay...£10 each instead of Ford price of £45 each.
I got them cut for £5 each by a local locksmith, who tested the keys to make sure the chip/transponders were working (as he said they have customers who buy remote fobs from E Bay & often they don't work).
He charged me £40 to reprogramme all 3 keys...Fords were going to charge £76 for the labour.
The alarm, immobiliser, remote locking & ignition are all fine!

As you probably all know, you need min. 2 keys to 'add' more yourself using the programming info in the glovebox manual...it's a more complicated operation if you only have 1 key, however I am pretty chuffed, having done lots of research, to have found a pretty inexpensive solution to my dilemma!

Hope this helps others.

DradusContact said:
I dont like the jaguar logo, they lost it when they replaced the leaping cat with the cats head.

Known amongst owners as "The Leaper" and "The Growler"

The Leaper is making a comeback, though as the side view on my key ring above rather than the 3D statuette of old (Still purchasable as an aftermarket item to screw onto your bonnet for the disembowelling of any pedestrian insolent enough get in the way of your Jaguar)

It is quite nice when driving to glance down at the steering wheel boss and see the Growler snarling back at you, even if it would be nicer to be behind a 3.8 6-cylinder petrol rather than a modest Ford 2-litre oil burner :-(

hi , i have a ford puma but i have a normal key not a remote key. If i buy a remote key what changes i have to do to the car.
:cry:

Did it have remote locking fitted from new?

If not then you'd have to get an Auto-Electrician ideally to set you up with an after market system as the easiest option.

If it had remote central locking originally then you will need the correct type remote fob and then it'll probably have to be programmed by a Ford technician.

Latest posts

Back