Help needed with removing air con / aux belt sqeeks

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matti9

Hi guys,

Most likely I'll have to replace my pas pump (now 1.7 engine with a/c bits): 5000km ago a new aux belt was fitted, but it has been making an irritating noise since (and its been getting louder). Because I have no use for my aircon pump, I want to get rid of it and fit a shorter aux belt, Fiesta non A/C pas pump (already lying around in the shed), Fiesta pas hoses (aquired).
I've read a lot about this topic here, but the discussions are from a couple of years ago, so I'm not able to see the photos anymore. Does anybody have a (photographed) guide of this (removing a/c pump, new route of the belt etc). Also, there are different suggestions, fitting a focus mk1 pump instead of the Fiesta's, stating the Fiesta pump will not bolt on. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Equally, there are different advices about the new belt, should I get the 6pk1750?
Before dismantling everything (dreading the job), I'd like to know I got the right parts:).

Thanks in advance!
Matti.

Looking to do similar so I'll follow this one closely.

I want to remove the aircon and keep the PAS too. :)

If not for the distance (I suspect there lies an ocean between us), I'd suggest we partner up and tackle this job together :grin:

I don't think you want to be involved with my handy-work. :lol:

Do you think there would be any advantage to getting a bracket made to bolt to the origital aircon mounting point, with a pulley on it? That way, the original belt could be used.

I'm not sure whether its the driving of the pump, or the length of the belt that saps the power?

No to both questions, I really don't know. I have two reasons for my plan: I suspect my generator or another part will fail if I keep driving as is and 2: the Fiesta parts (belt excluded, still don't know for sure which one to order) I already have lying around (literally, on the shed floor).
So I hope everything will fit at once (without brackets to be made), I can't afford to be without car for too long (need it to get to work).

Latest posts

Back