Ice, ice baby ;)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memyselfi

Not sure about other people but I needed, 'hands free' for my phone...and I also wanted Bluetooth

Problem was solved with a flip out screen, Android head unit. (yes, it has access to Google Play store)

This also means that I can include SatNav, a huge library of my music... whilst retaining radio & CD abilities (I think I can also throw a DVD in there?)

I used an app called MacroDroid to allow the head unit to connect to my phone (it does that when it connects to the phones Bluetooth), so my Puma is connected to the internet, so long as my phone is in my pocket :)

How have others got around the lack of connectivity issues inherent with older vehicles?

I get round lack of connectivity by not using my phone when in the car except when it connects via bluetooth for hands free but I can't remember the last time I made or received a call while driving 🤪
I still only listen to music via CD's in the car and/or Vinyl/Cassette in my house. Suits me as I rarely listen to music anyway unless I'm on a long drive, which is also very rare. As for satnav, I still use my tomtom & occasionally a book called an "Atlas/Road Map", clever things those if you can read 🤓
I have no idea what Google play is but I can hazard a guess something like iTunes - neither of which I use.
So to summarise;- all this new tech is pointless to this old fart, but it looks good :ROFLMAO:

Not sure about other people but I needed, 'hands free' for my phone...and I also wanted Bluetooth

Problem was solved with a flip out screen, Android head unit. (yes, it has access to Google Play store)

This also means that I can include SatNav, a huge library of my music... whilst retaining radio & CD abilities (I think I can also throw a DVD in there?)

I used an app called MacroDroid to allow the head unit to connect to my phone (it does that when it connects to the phones Bluetooth), so my Puma is connected to the internet, so long as my phone is in my pocket :)

How have others got around the lack of connectivity issues inherent with older vehicles?

I've just inherited a Puma Millenium and am starting to look for an android solution.
This looks interesting. Can you tell me the brand/model or where you sourced it?
thanks

Kenwood double DIN, with wireless car play, ran the mic upto the light, used a DAB converter to retain attena, sat gps and usb mounted in glove box, all works great, put an underseat sub in also.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-08 at 19.06.33.jpg

I've just inherited a Puma Millenium and am starting to look for an android solution.
This looks interesting. Can you tell me the brand/model or where you sourced it?
thanks
It was an 'unbranded' item - no make or model... but, if memory serves me, it was under £100 from ebay :)

If you go this route, make sure it has access to Google Play as many of the items they say are Android are just glorified MP4 players!

I've not decided what I want to do about a full touchscreen android device yet, but I bought a stupidly cheap (c.£8) Bluetooth player a few months ago (for the Seat Ibiza I used briefly before this Puma was back on the road) and I thought I might as well use it for now.
So, a generic converter unit from eBay and a quick spray job (not quite the right shade - it's a touch too light) and here it is:
PXL_20230925_175838144.jpg
PXL_20230925_175826883.jpg
Stereo here - updated listing so might differ
Convertor here

I have a question, mine was switched out for a single din years ago before we got the car. It doesn't have the slot underneath, just a blanking plate and a removable trim around the stereo. I looked at a cup holder solution but I don't think it will fit, too wide.

However in taking everything out to check it seemed like what holds the stereo in is pretty flimsy. Has more than normal been taken out and some after market cage been added? If I bought a different mounting plate, would I then be missing something I need behind it?

20230922_144927.JPG20230922_144459.JPG
20230922_144535.JPG

It looks to me like your car is normal and your kit is perhaps better than the kit I got as it has a cage which mine didn't. I had to use silicone sealant to hold things in place because the plastic moulded clips did nothing.

Looks normal to me as well, some aftermarket single DIN radio adapters are very poor, I've had the whole radio come out on acceleration ! Luckily the ones I'm using now on my Puma's stay put.

I see in other pictures it looks like there is some rear mounted bracket on the stock radio that I don't have in mine anymore. I guess because it has the extra cage thing.

I see in other pictures it looks like there is some rear mounted bracket on the stock radio that I don't have in mine anymore. I guess because it has the extra cage thing.
That'll be the top bracket, which the radio slides in on. You should have got one with the new facia adapter, I always seem to have to pen them out a bit, as the aftermarket ones can be too tight.

Latest posts

Back