petrol stations

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FlashBastd said:
For over 12m I have been running mine on either Sainsbury's Super Plus (97) or Tesco Super (99), ECU is mapped to 97RON, prefer to use Sainsbury's as they are the local supermarket, and as there is no noticable benefit of running on 99 over 97. I have occasionally used BP or Shell's 97 fuel and have noticed no difference whatsoever.
bp supplies petrol to sainsbury's since 2004 according to that website so there wouldnt be any difference

i think im gonna try shell for the next few weeks...keep you posted

I'd stick to the cheapest you can find. Unless there was definative proof i.e. someone paid for the fuel to go into my car and rolling roaded a full tank of each fuel and then proved one gave me better economy....
Otherwise I wouldn't use any of these higher octane fuels. The performance increase is going to be so small I wouldn't purchase it for that reason alone on such a relatively low powered car to start with so the economy benefit would be the only reason...and then it would have to be worth more than the increase in cost of the higher octane fuel.

pumakid2010 said:
i think i will use normal unleaded untill my puma is remapped to use 99 ron and if my injectors seem clogged simply use a bit of injector cleaner

I was told to put a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner through my system (trying to clean out/blow through catalytic converter at the time), it worked a treat.

pumapilot said:
pumakid2010 said:
i think i will use normal unleaded untill my puma is remapped to use 99 ron and if my injectors seem clogged simply use a bit of injector cleaner

I was told to put a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner through my system (trying to clean out/blow through catalytic converter at the time), it worked a treat.
mine are not blocked but i might try it if they get blocked
i have been tempted to try that octane booster 0-60 sec though but never ever bothered
anyone????

Unless your ECU is mapped for more octane, it's a waste of money.

pumakid2010 said:
pumapilot said:
pumakid2010 said:

mine are not blocked but i might try it if they get blocked.

My injectors were not blocked either, but my catalytic conver partially was, it cleaned out the injectors, sorted out the lift-off overun i had, and cleaned out the cat too.

since starting this thread i have used two tank fulls of shell normal unleaded it seems to be good and priced fairly cheap considering i always used to use sainsburys unleaded thinking they were one of the cheapest in my area

my first tank of shell i got 220 mlies range
my second tank of shell only 180 range

the was no difference in how i drive but the first week i did a lot of miles on the M40 which is probably why theres a huge difference in mileage range obviuosly being better than driving around the city accelerting and stopping all the time

If I had that fuel consumption, I would be checking why it was that high:

40 litre tank, / by 4.54 = 8.8 gallons.

220 miles / 8.8 = 25 mpg

180 / 8.8 = 20.45 mpg

Motorway driving is better for your engine, everything gets up to its normal operating temperature, and stays there for longer, cleaning out crud from cylinders, oil at correct temp will clear out rubbish lying around engine block (dont panic, it'll end up in the sump/oil filter, and go during next service), and injectors get blown through as well.

Also Shell unleaded will clean out your fuel system over time, and economy should improve.

40 litre tank?? manual says 41 litres IIRC, and heard of tank holding 42 litres when brimmed right to the top.

ive only used shell in my puma's and always get around 35-40 mpg around town and motorway,and thats with 108,000 on the clock lol
who says high milage makes a car worse......

YOG said:
If I had that fuel consumption, I would be checking why it was that high:

40 litre tank, / by 4.54 = 8.8 gallons.

220 miles / 8.8 = 25 mpg

180 / 8.8 = 20.45 mpg
probably down to me driving so hard i rarely change gear below 3000 rpm unless stuck in traffic

I always remember the little truism that somebody on here posted once.

The accelerator pedal uses petrol.

The brake pedal wastes it.

Very true Rob, my old man taught me to drive using gears instead of brakes, on the basis that a new clutch was cheaper than new brakes all round.

pumapilot said:
Very true Rob, my old man taught me to drive using gears instead of brakes, on the basis that a new clutch was cheaper than new brakes all round.
my new clutch cost £260 fitted my new ST170 300mm brake disks cost £80 my new mintex pads £20 my new rear brake shoes cost £40 fitted total £140 i would have thought standard brake disks and pads were alot cheaper especially if you only have 240mm rather than 258mm on the later models

probably around £100 to replace front disks,pads and rear brake shoes i would think a clutch is alot more expensive,will probably last longer than brakes and alot harder to fit in cost of labour

i just read a post that someone got quoted £330 for a new clutch probably from ford though

id rather replace my brakes over my clutch anyday

pumapilot said:
40 litre tank?? manual says 41 litres IIRC, and heard of tank holding 42 litres when brimmed right to the top.

Nope, 40 litres in Owner's Guide, and its generally thought 42 litres brimmed, although I can get more than this in my tank.

martinthrapston said:
ive only used shell in my puma's and always get around 35-40 mpg around town and motorway,and thats with 108,000 on the clock lol
who says high milage makes a car worse......

Thats about my consumption as well, with 21,000 on the clock.

I regularly get more than 42 litres in my tank with the most I've gotten in being 44.10. Either I have a bigger tank or the pumps I'm using are cheating me....lol

As I've posted before I managed over 86 miles once from the petrol light coming on so you'd be suprised how much you have in reserve.

it all depends on how careful you are accelerating,braking and modifications you have done to the car if petrol wasnt so expensive i really wouldnt be that bothered about mpg

next fill up will be from sainsbury's i think or shell

Latest posts

Back