1.7 Fuel Tank Replacement

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaSte

Almost 2 years of trouble free motoring with the Puma and now it's just failed it's MOT.

Fuel tank has split so I'm looking for a new replacement.
Have seen a few on eBay for around £60 but before buying I want to make sure it's the right one.

Is there any difference between the 1.7 and 1.6/1.4 tanks?

The eBay checker is saying the Puma tank I'm looking at is not right for the 1.7 but I'd rather trust the advice of others who have Pumas rather than some generic eBay checker!

The tank probably isn't any different, wouldn't make sense for Ford to do that.

However, the pump might be different, so I would put your sender unit and pump into a new (2nd hand) tank when you get one.

There are two different tanks, March 2000 is the breakpoint. Doesn't depend on engine size but you must get that right as the pump won't seat correctly in the wrong tank.

Ian G said:
[post]349662[/post] There are two different tanks, March 2000 is the breakpoint. Doesn't depend on engine size but you must get that right as the pump won't seat correctly in the wrong tank.

Cheers for the response mate.
Mines a 1999. Just looking online at the moment they all look the same.
For example the one I saw on eBay is listed as for Pumas 98-02 which doesn't sound right with what you're saying.
Need to get one ordered ASAP so I can get it fitted and back to the MOT place before the retest deadline runs out!

What's different about the tanks?!

I have a 1999 Ka one lying about at the moment and the only difference between that and my post March 2000 is the filling neck goes into the tank rather than using a rubber hose and jubilee.

Ian G said:
[post]349662[/post] There are two different tanks, March 2000 is the breakpoint. Doesn't depend on engine size but you must get that right as the pump won't seat correctly in the wrong tank.

Is there anything to distinguish between the 2?

Rather unhelpfully all the sellers I've seen with tanks list them as fitting "all" Pumas. :?

There's a few thread about this on here but nothing showing the differences, only describing that the fuel pump is different and if you use the wrong one then your fuel gauge won't read correctly.

(As I could find at least anyway)

Any ideas on where to buy the correct one as the one ordered has arrived and it's bloody wrong.
Too many sellers online listing the tanks as suitable for all Pumas when they're clearly not!

Latest posts

Back