Fuel Pump Issues

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackPumaGate

Hello all, hoping for some advice

I have a 2001 1.7 which cranks but doesn't start. So, I think: fuel issue.

Initially I heard no whir when the ignition was on, so checked the fuses and replaced the 10A fuel pump one. The first time I tried it after that I heard a quite loud whir, but the fuse went. Now each time I replace the fuse I hear a sort of sucking sound for about a second, and no loud whir. The fuse blows each time. I replaced the fuel pump relay and no joy. Is there anything else I can try before concluding that it's a fuel pump replace job?

I'm an amateur but willing to have a crack at replacing it if that's the issue, although I can't seem to find that procedure on YouTube. I wonder if the tank needs to come off etc... Any advice warmly welcomed, thank you.

Hello all, hoping for some advice

I have a 2001 1.7 which cranks but doesn't start. So, I think: fuel issue.

Initially I heard no whir when the ignition was on, so checked the fuses and replaced the 10A fuel pump one. The first time I tried it after that I heard a quite loud whir, but the fuse went. Now each time I replace the fuse I hear a sort of sucking sound for about a second, and no loud whir. The fuse blows each time. I replaced the fuel pump relay and no joy. Is there anything else I can try before concluding that it's a fuel pump replace job?

I'm an amateur but willing to have a crack at replacing it if that's the issue, although I can't seem to find that procedure on YouTube. I wonder if the tank needs to come off etc... Any advice warmly welcomed, thank you.
Hi

Yes I would say fuel pump needs replacing. You will need to get underneath the car and take the fuel tank off to swap the pump.
It's only 4 bolts, but disconnecting the fuel filler pipes and fuel lines are a bit fiddly.

Ok thanks - no way in though the top, under back seats etc?
It's worth checking under the rear seat, incase someone has "modified" it. One person told me that he didn't think he had the skills to drop the tank, so took it to a garage and they found it was easy as the hole had been cut for access to the pump, so worth checking.
Also as there are 3 types of fuel/pump sender units, the wrong one can cause issues with the fuel guage working in reverse or only going down to the 3/4 full mark, it's better to just change the actual pump, Magnetti Marelli seem popular and reasonable price. That's what I used on my Medium Steel blue Puma.

Hi. I am just having my fuel pump replaced as we speak. A few points to note ; fuel pump from Fords is available, but at nearly £500 I would suggest a good aftermarket brand. You will need to drop the tank - this is not hard, but you may end up needing new bolts, there is a plastic fitting connecting the tank to the filter, you do not need to remove this but it can be brittle and may crack- good chance to check /upgrade fittings. It has already been mentioned about the different senders - there are also two types of tank-they swapped one for the other about November 2000. The senders and pumps /fittings for these are not interchangeable. Make sure you order the right parts - quote chassis number. Last point - clean up the tank and check for leaks - good replacements are expensive and hard to find (there are some NOS of the early ones around, later ones will be from a breakers).
Good luck.

Taking the tank out is not a problem, as someone else earlier said, it’s 4 bolts.

When I got my puma up and running again after 8 years laid up, pump was goosed. Wanting to get it on the road as cheap as possible I brought just the electric pump (seem to remember from Amazon- £25) and fitted that… been good for 6 years now!

Taking the tank out is not a problem, as someone else earlier said, it’s 4 bolts.

When I got my puma up and running again after 8 years laid up, pump was goosed. Wanting to get it on the road as cheap as possible I brought just the electric pump (seem to remember from Amazon- £25) and fitted that… been good for 6 years now!
Cheers - you don't have a link to that pump do you? I'm having one last look at the spark plugs before finally reverting to the fuel pump. I think I flooded it and there's a bit of crap around the existing plugs so they do need a look.

I tried to get a new one from a donor car, both cars had been modified under the back seat for additional access. I found that the fuel pipe from the pump to the fuel filter was different. There might be a trick to it but I couldn't get the white plastic connector out of the top of my fuel pump without breaking it. I had to buy one of them too.

Attachments

• 20220122_151853.jpg
    20220122_151853.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20211025_183136.jpg
    20211025_183136.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230423_135557.jpg
    20230423_135557.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
I suppose if your wanting to check there’s fuel getting to the engine, pull off the fuel supply quick connector on the engine, put in a jar and put ignition in- if it fills the jar then the problems not the pump! There the red and white quick connectors RH side of engine (white is supply).

I havnt got the link for the pump, but think I pulled the pump out first and checked it against the one on Amazon (typed in fiesta pump)

I suppose if your wanting to check there’s fuel getting to the engine, pull off the fuel supply quick connector on the engine, put in a jar and put ignition in- if it fills the jar then the problems not the pump! There the red and white quick connectors RH side of engine (white is supply).

I havnt got the link for the pump, but think I pulled the pump out first and checked it against the one on Amazon (typed in fiesta pump)
Great idea thanks.

Back