2.1 Zetec Turbo - The Yella' Fella' (Videos and Dyno pg7)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good, I'm having the same set up as you and I dare say I will probably run 400lbs springs too.

Does sound like they are a good and complete set up too, I will get onto Chris @ LMS and let him know to order up some 400lbs springs too. Waiting on an update back from him regarding the past few days.

No don't just order 400lb springs, speak to Gaz and find out what spring rates they use on the m1 focus 2.0, that should give you a good starting point. I can't remember exactly what my spring rates were, 400lbs was just a guess. Your engine weight will be different to mine and with your turbo at the front of the engine instead of the back, weight distribution will be different so worth doing some research on.

The theory behind wheel width is that by increasing the width, you decrease the length of the footprint.

Bit picky this but as an ex tyre fitter can I point out that this is not strictly true...the different widths of a tyre has no effect on the length of the footprint as this is controlled by its rolling radius, so if you go from say a 215/16 to a 235/16 the footprint length will increase (as well as getting wider of course) which of course is good, however and this is a point "boy racers" never seem to get, there will come a point where the tyre is actually too wide to grip the road as the weight becomes so spread out that there is nothing left to actually push it onto the tarmac, which is why so see so many Corsa's in the ditch wearing tyres meant for Audi's and the likes.

Great thread so far, keep it up can't wait to see the finished article :thumbs:

If you read the complete post (I know I waffle on a bit) you will see I'm trying to explain the theory of contact patch, not that I agree with it. If I agreed with the theory I wouldn't have fitted wider tyres. Take a read of this page if you have time, it describes what the 'theory' of contact patch is and how (on paper) when you keep all things equal, car weight and tyre pressure ect, it is proven that the contact patch changes shape, but actual contact patch area DOES NOT INCREASE with wheel width increase! Intresting read http://www.performancesimulations.com/fact-or-fiction-tires-1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PumaNoob said:
No don't just order 400lb springs, speak to Gaz and find out what spring rates they use on the m1 focus 2.0, that should give you a good starting point. I can't remember exactly what my spring rates were, 400lbs was just a guess. Your engine weight will be different to mine and with your turbo at the front of the engine instead of the back, weight distribution will be different so worth doing some research on.

Oh right, glad I read this before talking to Chris then. I'm not sure what he was going to run but I'm definitely going to give Gaz a ring tomorrow and then give Chris a call to and relay the information onto him. You definitely have a good knowledge base on you Errol, adding some great detail to my pretty bland and boring thread - waiting on some pictures to update you all with but struggling to get hold of Chris at the moment.

Pumanoob....read the complete thing, interesting indeed, does sort of add up to my point about there being a point where the "patch pressure" ie, grip on the road does lessen which means less grip but also seems to destroy my previous "knowledge" of tyre footprint/load etc.....but have to say the whole article is very interesting and does make for a very good read, thanks for the link, always good to learn new stuff :thumbs:

Now I must stop hijacking this thread...sorry Daverave, back to the build :grin:

Zinc your a better man then me, I just skipped to a few summarising bullet points lol! But yeah, as I say, on paper that how it works, but I have 100% noticed a huge difference in not only cornering and acceleration, but on braking too with wider tyres. If I could go back down to 215's and get the same traction I 100% would do, they look better, & are cheaper not to mention they are lighter too. Maybe if I got a better compound it might work, but putting a lot of torque down in a FWD is always going to be hard so I need all the help I can get!

Dave it's far from a boring thread, you have everyone pinned waiting for more pics & updates. :thumbs: Keep up the good work and progress mate!

So I have news that we have run into a few problems on the build.. Apparently there has been some issues with mounting the engine. Chris has previously fitted a black top engine into a Mk5 Fiesta but ours is a silver top so the brackets are different. I didn't quite fully understand what my son was saying the other day but I think its to do with the cam belt side of the engine, the plastic cover is different and the mounts are different between the two engines? Something like that. Anyway, Chris is on top of things so it's all good.

On a brighter note, the Peron Manifold should be arriving tomorrow, turbo and Jenvey inlet plenum by the end of the week and then next week is when all the fun begins as Chris will be ordering all of the rest of the parts and the build will be starting to go together!

was reading this thread and i find it is very interesting it is just something else then all those frp's that get a swap.
But are there any updates on this and what are future plans ?

Greetz
Ruben

There's so much difference between a blacktop and a silvertop relating to engine and alternator mounts, water pumps, oil filters, drive belts and sumps, it's almost like a different engine.
Barry

Well, I have kept you all waiting long enough and I'm sorry to say that you're all going to have wait just a little bit longer unfortunately. Certain problems arose with funding but they are being sorted this week. Parts should be being ordered as soon as possible, power figure in mind has changed too, aiming for 380 bhp from a GTX2863R now as want more responsiveness and better track feel instead of laggy top end power that is not useable.

The exhaust manifold turned up which is a thing of pure beauty, I will try and post picture up of it soon. Hopefully the build will be back underway again after christmas and into the new year. One piece of good news is that the FRP bodykit has arrived and so far looks okay, will have to see when its on the car properly and resprayed in a metallic version of the Milly yellow.

This is a question for you tech heads out there (Ryan and Harvey Gibbs, Errol to name a few :wink:)

I'm using an external wastegate on my engine and I want to use it to run little or no boost through the turbo so that when I use gear dependant boost, I can have nice and low power in the first 2 or 3 gears getting progressively higher from 1st through to 3rd. How would I do this? I'm going to be using an F88 ecu from Life Racing so the ecu should be up to the job. Do I need an air injector to keep the wastage open at lower boost pressures?

Any technical help much appreciated!

The quick option would be to use a low pressure spring in your wastegate. Something like 5psi. At a guess on your engine with 5psi from a GT2871r you'd be looking maybe 170-180 bhp which if I recall correctly, was around what you were looking to run in the lower gears. Then let the electronic boost control solenoid control the increase with it's duty cycle.

It would be a trial and error thing though because with low spring pressures, you can sometimes get wastegate creep as the spring isn't strong enough to keep the wastegate closed with huge manifold pressures. I've not tried a 5psi spring myself, I'm using a custom spacer inside the wastegate to decrease travel and a 7psi spring (increased to 10psi with the shim)

I'm not getting any wastegate creep with that set up.

It's been a while since I've posted in here, no real major updates yet however the build will be recommencing in February in the capable hands of Chris @ LMS.

The GTX turbo has been ordered and so too has the Jenvey inlet plenum, yum! Cannot wait to see them when they arrive, should be during this week some time, will post up some pictures as soon as I can. Thanks for all the help you guys have provided, lets see how this things turns out in the next couple of months.

This is exactly what im looking to do albeit in a different variant of model and with some differences here and there but overall pretty much the same. So looking forward to the progress!

Regards,

Puma555.

Oh nice, what are the differences going to be and what power output you hoping to achieve in the end?

Hi mate,

I was looking to go for a hp figure of somewhere between 300-400 with a Duratec 2.0 engine, the reason why for such a broad estimate is due to not experiencing a Puma with similar hp. A mixture of road and track but I am positive of turboing it as I prefer being able to have the power easily attained then rather redlining each gear. In reality I will probably go for circa 350-70hp but will have a number of maps in place so that I can switch to which ever one judging by the situation im in. Maybe an AWD but im not that sure on if it would ruin handling but I guess it would handle the power well.

Also I may have my project as a 1.4 and do things a bit different. As there are pretty similar to the 1.7 bar a few things which will be upgraded anyway, and it saves me money on insurance (well sort of) and tax. Colour wise probably black with a replica FRP kit, I was contemplating a spoiler but not sure as I can't find much I like. Maybe a ductail bootlid?

Oh and Carbon! :cool:

Regards,

Puma555.

Does sound interesting liking the sound of some carbon thrown in there. Trying to conserve the handling is tricky when doing the engine swap. The duratec is a lot lighter than the zetec engine so yours will be lighter over the front end than ours. That is my only real worry, how will it handle like. I'm considering going with a Gripper diff down the line to see if it makes a difference, already got the Quaife ATB in the gearbox as its from a Focus RS but putting nearly 400 bhp through the front wheels in a car that weighs not much more than a tonne sounds interesting!!

I think my son has plans to make the car 4WD when I hand it over to him in a few years time, need to be able to handle the power a bit better and then we might look at going 450-500 range. The 4WD system should push some more weight over the rear to make the weight distribution better, but will probably be a costly modification.

Until then, FWD will have to do. With a big heavy engine over the front we may lose a bit of corner handling but with the extra weight pushing down on the front wheels we should be able to put the power down better. I guess we could look at making the rear a bit stiffer too, perhaps with the suspension set up and maybe a rear anti roll bar? Im not 100% on what to do regarding that side of things but looking forward to seeing your build when it starts. Be good to have another FRP replica in a different colour, I think mine will stand out quite a bit though!

Do you have any idea when this might be on the road Dave? I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished result

I know I have been dragging everyone on for a while now! I reckon I should have it back between the middle to end of March? Hopefully it will be sooner. I cannot wait to drive it, I keep trying to plan what its going to be like and how its going to handle all that power and different weight set up, how its going to ride like with proper suspension, what its going to sound like with a pretty much straight through exhaust and screamer pipe, what its going to stop like with proper brakes all round.. As you can possibly tell I am slightly excited!

So I have just found this whilst looking on the internet and I can honestly say, I want the yella fella to look like this once I have an F2 spoiler on it! Looks so awesome.

Latest posts

Back