2000 Focus Refusing to start!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisg

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me, as quite frankly, I'm stumped.

My friend has a 2000 Focus 1.8 Zetec Petrol, and his battery has died overnight. I jump started it with the Rover, and it started up fine with the diagnostic dash stating the battery charging around 12-15v (was rather unstable), started putting on the electrical loads, i.e fans, heated screens, lights etc, and all seemed well, after about ten minutes, we turned off all the loads, and disconnected the car's jump leads.

After a while of it idling normally, we started to apply electric loads to the car again, the lights were on, and as soon as we put the fans on, the car cut out completely, with nil warning from the Alternator Warning light. Tried jumping it again, to no avail, and there is a audible clicking noise from the passenger footwell, with the doors trying to lock themselves over and over again.

The multimeter revealed the battery has around 12.67V of charge in it, but the power is so low the interior clock is flickering dimly and on key position 2, there is absolutely nothing. Underbonnet fuses were fine.

Can anybody help please?

Nil DTC codes either on the dash.

Bang on the money there, thanks!

Halfords wanted £95 for a new one, trade card dropped it to £54! ;)

Cherie got a genuine motorcraft one from our local Ford dealers October 2009 for £56.76 which I think wasn't too bad really.

Back