4-2-1 Manifold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hey,

I know there are loads of these threads but I didn't found the answer to my question.
So sorry if there is already a thread similar to this!

Today I found a 4-2-1 manifold to suit my Puma (1998, 1 Lambdasensor)
vGg1xoa.jpg

The manifold I'm intended to buy has two lambdaholes near the flange. Which one do I use? And what do I do with the second one?

I also want to fit a sport cat, Pumabuild does sell one but I'm not sure if it's just the cat or + the mid pipe? Is it also possible to get the sport cat as a separate piece?
I reckon this is the 'cat' including the complete mid pipe section?:
http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?cPath=43_119&products_id=1115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As read in another thread I need these bolts to secure the cat to the manifold :
http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?cPath=43_119&products_id=262" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And of course use all new 2'' gaskets and a new manifold gasket.

Total package needed:
4-2-1 Manifold
Sport cat (+ mid pipe section) - Or home made decat section?
New exhaust hangers
Exhaust gaskets
Inlet manifold gasket
Bolt set to secure manifold to cat
Lambda sensor extention

Is this everything? Or am I missing something?

Brian'

Hi Brian
Looking at the manifold it looks like mine, a stainless steel piper one so if it is a piper one it will probably fit the Pumabuild one as it says that that is manufactured by Piper. I don't know why it has two lambda bosses but it doesn't matter which one you use but the one nearer to the engine means your sensor cable run will be less. You can block the other hole off with a M18 lambda plug which you can get on Ebay.

tuonokid said:
Hi Brian
Looking at the manifold it looks like mine, a stainless steel piper one so if it is a piper one it will probably fit the Pumabuild one as it says that that is manufactured by Piper. I don't know why it has two lambda bosses but it doesn't matter which one you use but the one nearer to the engine means your sensor cable run will be less. You can block the other hole off with a M18 lambda plug which you can get on Ebay.
Alright! :) - You also have the cat bought off Pumabuild?

Hi Brian
No I bought what was supposedly a second hand FRP cat off someone on Ebay but I still don't know whether it is an FRP one or not. You don't mention the rear section of the exhaust including the rear silencer but you will need this as well as the Piper system is much larger bore than the standard system.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Brian
No I bought what was supposedly a second hand FRP cat off someone on Ebay but I still don't know whether it is an FRP one or not. You don't mention the rear section of the exhaust including the rear silencer but you will need this as well as the Piper system is much larger bore than the standard system.
Barry
Hi Barry,

I have a piper 3,5'' backbox fitted, Didn't mentioned that :oops:

Hi Brian
Is the pipe going into the Piper backbox bigger dia than standard?
It's a shame that the Pumabuild photo doesn't show where the middle section ends in relation to the rear section but I know on my system there is a short section after the manifold then another section that goes to about the rear axle with a box on it and then finally the rear silencer and tailpipe.
Barry

Hi Brian
That's probably the best thing to do but it's expensive. I suppose there's not much available in Holland compared to over here, especially second hand.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Brian
That's probably the best thing to do but it's expensive. I suppose there's not much available in Holland compared to over here, especially second hand.
Barry
There is literally nothing available here for the Puma. I buy all my parts from the UK.
Why do they make sport cats so expensive, No wonder there are many guys going the de-cat way.

Did found this one though:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiesta-Puma-1-6-1-7-Milltek-Exhaust-Sports-Cat-Stainless-Steel-Zetec-S-Zetec-Se-/221704460251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e9d97db" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be expensive to ship that to my place :|

Hi Brian
Cats are expensive because they are made with some precious metals, they are even getting stolen off cars over here as scrap value is good for them.
I had a look at that Ebay item and it's a lot of work for you to get to fix so maybe the Puma build one is the best bet for you unless you can afford to wait for a complete system to turn up on Ebay.
As a guide for you I paid a lot (over £250) for my Piper manifold, £125 for the full Piper exhaust system, all off ebay and then another £35 for the frp sportcat but a lot of work to make them all fit as it was a de-cat system so I had some cutting and welding to do.
Barry

Hi Barry,
The seller on eBay that sells the manifold is prepared to post the manifold to my place for £25 + item costs. So I think I'll do that. And wait for the rest as I'm not in a hurry :p

Btw, Is it possible to buy an universal sport cat and weld that into my system?

Hi Brian
It would be possible to buy a sportcat to weld onto the system but you could have 2 problems. 1 would be the strength of the sportcat, could it's construction hold up the rear of the exhaust? And 2 there is not a great deal of room where the sportcat will be located. If you have a look on my project link the FRP? sportcat is quite a chunky but small piece of kit.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Brian
It would be possible to buy a sportcat to weld onto the system but you could have 2 problems. 1 would be the strength of the sportcat, could it's construction hold up the rear of the exhaust? And 2 there is not a great deal of room where the sportcat will be located. If you have a look on my project link the FRP? sportcat is quite a chunky but small piece of kit.
Barry
Alright, I have to be patient and wait until there's a sport cat up on eBay or somewhere else.
Thanks for your help Barry! :eek:k:

Back