50 days until learners are allowed on motorways

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/learner-drivers-will-be-allowed-on-motorways-from-2018

So long as the rest of the road user drive properly this will not cause any issues, should make everyone take some motorway lessons as the vast majority do not have a clue how to use them safely.

I never had a single lesson on motorway, day after passing my test I went to Bradford and drove home in a little Ford KAK (100 and odd miles back home)

If you can drive down a dual carriageway and follow a satnav, it really isn't complicated to drive down a motorway. I do believe that motorways should be apart of the test.

Agree with both above, motorways are not complicated, lets face it, for one thing everybody is (usually) going the same way, biggest problem is a lot of people have no idea how to use their mirrors, relying on the interior mirror is no good on a busy motorway, you really do have to use all three mirrors as well as looking around you...you see far too many drivers staring straight ahead all the time.
My driving instructor when I did my HGV lessons said "if you are looking forwards all the time you will miss the accident you just caused"
Basically if you leave enough space all around you and are aware of all the other drivers you will stay safe and arrive stress free at the end of your journey, of course it helps if everybody does the same, sadly far too many drivers see any journey as a race :-(

I don't think the problems are new drivers, new drivers I expect will apply commonsense and utilise their dual carriageway experience on the motorway, the rules are quite similar.

My personal opinion is that they people sitting in the middle lanes etc are of an older generation or foreign that have never been taught to drive properly on a dual carriageway.

What it will do though is give new drivers the confidence to start using motorways more quickly, I know a number of people that avoided them after passing, but for me it was literally the first thing I did, take a jaunt down the motorway.

Latest posts

Back