Learner drivers allowed on motorways 2018

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/learner-drivers-will-be-allowed-on-motorways-from-2018

Brilliant idea as too many drivers (and they are not all new drivers) have no idea how motorways work or how fast the traffic will be going, they have no clue how to give more space than normal, how to signal, overtake, pull back in, leave slip roads etc etc
And as it will be down to the instructor who has these lessons it should not present any problem as the learner should have shown enough competence beforehand.
Personally I think motorway lessons should be compulsory before or after the test otherwise some will opt out and these will be the ones who go on to cause the problems
The driving test itself still barely covers the basics and puts too many drivers on the road with little or no experience of "proper" traffic and we all see the results every day.
Done properly and with proper supervision and control this should hopefully help us all stay safe.
I should add my daughter is a driving instructor and is most definitely in favour of it, but like me thinks it should be compulsory

Scary thing is

'It will be up to the driving instructor to decide when the learner driver is competent enough to have a motorway lesson.'

So anyone who actually needs it can opt out.

I do think that drivers should already be able to apply the concepts learnt on dual carriageways to motorways for the most part, i.e. keeping left and using the right hand lane for over taking. Motorway concepts are also part of the theory test, so they should 'know' what to do.

Clearly it's not going to be practically possible in some parts of the country to use a Motorway on a lesson and I think that's what makes it tricky making it compulsory.

Agree Matt, the nearest Motorway to me - as in 3 lane - is 40 miles from my home so can't see many around my area paying an instructor time to drive to it, on it, and back in one sitting.

I've always said, everyone who wants to drive a car should have to go through motorbike training first to get an undertsanding of real road awareness. Then after a couple of years can then learn to drive a car.

Alternatively or also & including, cars should have the same power restrictions etc as motorbikes regarding learning/driving.

Latest posts

Back