'99 1.7 Black Puma - Progress - NOW FOR SALE

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP88

Hi all,

Going to use the thread going forward as a progress thread and update it as and when I can, for my own reference as well as to give everyone else tips and hopefully demonstrate how little money/work is required to make a big difference aesthetically.

So - bought in April 2014 - first things first, a good wash and new wipers all round.

EKpdXXx.jpg

KeQFGx3.jpg

DUjTUGj.jpg

W8sdyBD.jpg

Just refurbished the front headlight lenses to the best of my ability. For these, I used Autosol (a metal polisher), with a circular wool buffer fitted to a cordless drill, then polished with Turtle Wax Intensive Glass Polish, then wiped down with Demon Shine to get rid of any excess.

Before -
v4KmMBn.jpg

After -
pma3pAu.jpg

Can't see a HUGE difference, but it was worth doing.

Cost so far:
3 x wipers - £9
Smoked side repeaters - £5
Boot LED - £3
Autosol, wool buffer, wax and Demon Shine - £17

Total:
£34

sleepingcat said:
Hi looking good.
Liking the 42 led boot light where did u get
that from?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-T10-BA9S-Dome-Festoon-Adapter-Panel-48-SMD-LED-Car-Interior-Light-Bulb-12v-/281054480776?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4170270988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Came in 2 days, fits directly into the bulb holder with the adaptor supplied. The unit itself is then backed with 3M adhesive pad, so it sticks straight onto anywhere in the boot.

Also forget to mention I have fitted LED numberplate bulbs, had some spare from my last car, so cost me nothing this time around, but typically about £4 for two. Two photos here showing effectiveness of numberplate bulbs and boot LED.

PWUFMAg.jpg

lPI6CnI.jpg

edit: that boot LED is nowhere near as harsh as the photo suggests. The colour is right, but it's not as in your face as that, and it lights up the whole of the boot totally.

Looking forward to your updates with enthusiasm as I recently purchased a Y reg black puma 1.7.
I'm new to modifications and Mechanical bits and also little budget to spare currently so hopefully I will pick up some great tips and things I would like to do to my puma.

I'm by no means an expert. I like to tinker and make cost effective improvements, but mechanically I'm a novice. As you can see from the modifications I've done so far, the cost is next to nothing. A set of 3 aero/flat wipers for under £9 has made a world of difference. If you need any assistance finding some good value parts, give me shout, I'm glad to help.

Next modifications are a pair of Heko wind deflectors (if they ever turn up), then it's a full service - oil (Ford Formula F), new oil, air, fuel and pollen filters, and a set of new spark plugs. Air conditioning seems to be blowing cold, so shouldn't need to topup this year.

Soon after, I'm looking at the front wheels - a set of new tyres, discs, calipers and pads. If you were looking for tyres, I HIGHLY recommend a Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.. a summer tyre with outstanding rain performance - pretty handy in this country!? Anyway, they're less than £40 a tyre on Camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=111610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Your tyre size should be the same as mine. Make sure you have the front tyres pumped up to a higher pressure than the rear - it makes the back end less likely to lose grip. I have the fronts at 32 PSI and the rears at 28 PSI.

After that?

Well.. then it'll be MOT time. :| I've got little to no rust, though the Puma did have advisories on corroded brake lines, deteriorated rear beam bushes and a backbox that has a leak of gases.. so I'm not expecting any miracles. Infact, I may well get the brake lines done at the same time as the pads/discs.

Thanks for the heads up on tyres,something that's definitely on my list. Will be posting my own progress soon.

My motoring skills goes as far as changing a tyre and replacing windscreens and door glass. Everything else to me is all way over my head haha!

Recently got some aero wipers on the front and a standard on the rear too, look much nicer and do a far better job!

I'm sure your puma will be fine on its MOT, as much as I have worked out is those that are aware of problems prevent further damage or fix and cars have a better MOT run.

I've not to worry about mine for at least another 9 months, my only advisory was small rust on driver door sill. Though I've seen some around my a-pillar and the very bottom of some arches.

So today I've ordered a few things. I've picked up a set of oil, fuel, pollen and air filters for £14. Mehr branded as far as I can tell, so seems a fair price. Also got a vacuum oil extractor and 5 litres of Ford Formula F 5w30 to do a full oil change. Hope to have that done and all the filters swapped over by the end of the week - I may skip the fuel filter if it looks to be pretty new.

Looking now at buying a set of spark plugs, though I might have a look at the existing ones now - the car runs perfectly.. So I'll see what sparks are in there at the moment and what condition they're in.

After that I'm waiting for a quote of some 260mm discs and calipers, then will get pads priced up. Next week will also see the front tyres getting changed for rainsport 3s.

Will update with photos as and when.

Now have the Heko wind deflectors fitted. Not 100% with the fitting. They're secure, but I thought the fit would be better. :x

hOVPcGH.jpg

All four filters replaced today. Very easy. only the fuel and oil filter gave me a bit of a test.. the "out" fuel line was reusing to come off for about 10 minutes, and the oil filter needed a pair of grips to get off. Probably lost about 0.5l - 1l of petrol too. :|

Couldn't get sump plug off to change the oil, so will get my local mechanic to do it at the same time as the spark plugs and the front discs and pads.

Forgot to take a photo of the new filters - but here are the old ones.

zNN2z5z.jpg

So, today I've got Pagid discs and pads fitted, and a full oil change to Ford Formula F too - tomorrow I have a new set of Uniroyal Rainsports 3's being fitted on the front. Whilst the tyres are being changed, I intend on giving my calipers a once/twice over with some metal gloss paint.

Will get photos up tomorrow.

Costs so far:
3 x wipers - £9
Boot LED - £3
Heko wind deflectors - £28
Oil, air, fuel and pollen filters - £14
5L of Ford Formula F fully synthetic 5w30 oil - £22
Set of Pagid vented front discs and pads - £32
Oil change and brakes fitted - £30

Total: £132

Had a bit of time this afternoon while the weather stayed dry, so I finally took my engine cover off, and gave it a good clean. Also touched up the "S" in red gloss paint. The spark plugs are NGK laser platinums, all in good condition, so won't be changing those yet.

VxpgXPX.jpg

Tyres fitted - two Uniroyal Rainsport 3's fitted at my door for just a touch over £90 by Event Tyres - big thumbs up from me. Did exactly what they said, when they said, with no fuss or issues at all. Highly recommended.

Also got 5 minutes to do my calipers with some metal gloss paint - just some cheap stuff, did fancy paying £9 for a tiny tin of Hammerite. Anyway it looks pretty good!

Before, noting poor condition of tyre -
V3LSRw0.jpg

During - new Pagid discs and pads fitted yesterday
53sw28O.jpg

And finally, Rainsport's fitted, calipers coated, ready to go!
FBz35bR.jpg

Costs so far:
3 x wipers - £9
Boot LED - £3
Heko wind deflectors - £28
Oil, air, fuel and pollen filters - £14
5L of Ford Formula F fully synthetic 5w30 oil - £22
Set of Pagid vented front discs and pads - £32
Oil change and brakes fitted - £30
Red gloss paint & brush - £2