A small project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherwass

Over the summer we decided we HAD to sort out the rusty arches (and sills and odd rust spots) again! We are not experts but went mad, grinding and treating the rust. Then filling, sanding (and more sanding) until eventually we were ready to prime, paint and top coat. Not perfect but pretty close. The most scary attempt by far since we have had her. Took a while week with both of us. After a week of being left in the garage to cure the paint, and a good Megs 1,2,3 we had a finished product we are happy with. Sure it won't be a fix but hope it will last a while. Unfortunately, just after we finished, I had to lose my beloved alloys due to rust on the inside (where the tyre covers). Gutted!!

Never mind. If you have 5 mins and fancy a watch, here is the link (hubby made a short movie of stills).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOiPG87kAEE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope it works :grin:

Not lost the alloys!

:'(

Puma looks good though :eek:k: Hopefully that'll last a while longer.

Not a bad job judging by the photo's. Am I right in thinking you used Hydrate 80 to treat it as that's the bluey colour stuff I used. My inner arch near the brake hose bracket was starting to go like that but I managed to catch it I think and splashed it with Hydrate and sprayed it with galv spray so will hopefully keep it good for a while yet.

Dal said:
Not lost the alloys!

:'(

Puma looks good though :eek:k: Hopefully that'll last a while longer.

Yes!! check your mail, I have replied. Still have them safe and sound. Need to do some work and can't afford the more expensive tyres just now. Will get them back on one day tho!

yippeekiay said:
Not a bad job judging by the photo's. Am I right in thinking you used Hydrate 80 to treat it as that's the bluey colour stuff I used. My inner arch near the brake hose bracket was starting to go like that but I managed to catch it I think and splashed it with Hydrate and sprayed it with galv spray so will hopefully keep it good for a while yet.

The bottle says Arcol solutions rust converter. Turns blue when it starts turning rust to something better. Blue goes away when it is finished. Good stuff. When I sanded before filling and painting (as suggested as it leaves a layer which then shows through everything (as found out with trial and error - you have to rub down and start again as the paint just moves off when wet!!) there was nothing that looked remotely like rust. Under the arches, behind the wheel I just left it as it was. All the underneath and grooves in the arches were also treated with Waxoil.

Latest posts

Back