A totally new Beige Box thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Arch Bishop

Picked up my new every-dayer today. It's got a face (and colour) only a mother could love, but has turned out to be suprisingly entertaining to drive and decently rapid.

subaru_front.jpg

subaru_rear.jpg

100,000 miles and still feels very tight to drive. You have to love Japanese over-engineering! :)

Comments on what a minger it is are welcome and expected.

Trust me, it's even more fiercely gold in the flesh. Sort of bordering on green. I like it for its 'can spot it in a car park at 200 yards' ability!

Thanks all! The grunt has proved to be seriously amusing. Still getting that 'bloody hell' feeling when I give it a bit to much throttle and the turbo spins up! OK, it's no Puma round the twisties but grips in an entertainingly squealy way!

The ride quality is also pretty good and everything still works prefectly. The only down-side is the extreme weight clutch which makes town centre's a bit of a chore.

Very nice not expensive to buy those, some maintenance can be eye watering though

It certainly can! The previous owner paid out over £1500 sorting out advisories last year! :shock:

Other than needing a cambelt soon, it's been pampered at Subaru garages. The garage I bought it from also replaced the troublesome self leveling rear shocks for a standard set up that contained new springs as well so it's as sound as a 100,000 mile car can be really.

Prepare the vasaline, a cambelt change is not cheap on those boxer engines, one of my friends paid £550 I think.

Fuel economy update - averaging 28mpg. Suppose it could be worse!

Will still be pressing the Puma into daily use come the Spring though. An extra 10mpg is not to be sniffed at. It looked a bit wrong being clean and shiny so I've resisted cleaning it. Foresters should be filthy as standard.

Best bits so far -

Hill hold system. Pull up on an incline with the clutch in and the brake pushed. Let off brake, car holds itself on the brakes then releases them when you bring up the clutch. All cars should have this...

Not having to find another longer route home from work when it's been raining heavily. I ripped the under-tray off the Citroen last time we had flooded roads around here.

Powering away from tail-gating Audi's in a 10 year old ugly gold Japanese box. Priceless. :lol:

Cough Cough 'Remap' Cough Cough

And maybe a free flow exhaust to release the awesome noise :eek:k:

:lol: slayllian, yeah, it ain't pretty! And for that alone, I'm quite fond of it!

Scotty, both would be lovely and I admit that it could be with being a bit more throaty, but it's an every day car so it'll stay as is for the moment!

Latest posts

Back