A totally new Beige Box thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the problem with these beige cars - they promise so much but inevitably disappoint ;)

Oi!

The big cat has been all but bombproof from 111,000 when we bought it in 2008 to 187,000 today

IMG_3248.jpg

A Forrester is 'Shed of the Week' on Pistonheads today.

http://pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read that earlier. They do like a forester on PH! Think that's the second or third SOTW forester so far! However, they don't make any mention of dribbly gearboxes...

Going to have to drive it the 3 miles to the garage on Monday, so may have to try and put a few bottles of fluid in to get it there safely. On the plus side, the guys there reckon it won't be anything serious and guessed at a gearbox cooling pipe between the cooler and 'box having let go.

Fingers crossed!

All is well again luckily. I had a poke around the engine bay and found the gearbox dipstick (yes, it has one for some unknown reason - well, unknown until I actually needed to check it obviously) and the level was fine. It was engine oil that was leaking. Dashed a few litres in and got it down the garage for them to find that the oil filter had a pin-hole in it. Total cost for repair - £37...

I'm not going to be too pleased as something more terrible will happen next... The Puma has taught me that!

Would now be a bad time to point out I get 37-38mpg consistently from my 2.0l Clio? :lol:

Now I reckon my TDCI would achieve that if it wasn't lugging around a heavy cabriolet bodyshell and its an all aluminium unit so it wouldn't be much heavier than a 1.7. It's got 134 hp as standard and 251 ft lbs of torque

Neil said:
Would now be a bad time to point out I get 37-38mpg consistently from my 2.0l Clio? :lol:
Well of course you can, but whether I'd have been able to lug the enormous amount of stuff (still four up) that I have this week in a Clio is a whole other thing! :p

Anyway, that Clio isn't nearly GOLD enough. :lol:

Still the most economical car we had was the old PD engined SEAT that eventually exploded. Easy 62 mpg. Shame it was built out of chocolate engine parts and contained such shoddy engineering.

So 4WD and snow. Basically means that you can get going easily enough but you're still mortal when you need to stop. You just have a lot more weight, drive-shafts and inertia to bring to a halt. Oh, and unsurprisingly, Continental's are crap in snow.

So this is a 4x4 driver clearly stating that I have virtually no advantage in poor conditions on regular tyres. Next time you see an Audi/Range Rover/BMW X-whatever driving like a nob in the snow, you'll know that it's misplaced bravado!

Was good up tricky slopes though... :grin:

Cambelt time - including tensioners and a water pump - a shade over £500. Could be worse I suppose... Oh it was...

'There seems to be a weeping metal coolant pipe sir. It's fairly inaccessible so tricky to replace.'

Arse.

Still, older cars = repairs to be expected. :cool:

Afraid so.

It's at times like that, my girlfriends car logic starts to make sense - as soon as it's due any sort of mechanical maintainence, hand it back :lol:

Latest posts

Back