abs and traction control lights on?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wainie

Hi
Ive recently bought a 2001 1.7 puma in black..........i think its a great little car for the money i paid, i bought it privately and it came with a receipt of the brakes having just been done? but both abs and traction control lights are on and wont go off, should i take it to the garage for a check? :grin:

Do you get the ABS self test when you first pull off? If you do it's likely a knackered sensor somewhere.

as soon as i turn on the ignition the light comes on and stays on........it only goes off when i turn the car off.

The ABS self test is a 'crunch' noise when you first pull off (at under 5mph IIRC)

Crunch...nah, I like to say a Graunch....and it's at 12mph-ish

Get a mulitmeter on the ABS sensor connectors to test for resistance. Front connectors are behind the wheel arch liner, back is in the middle of the car infront of the petrol tank. (trace each connector from the sensor itself to make sure you have the right connectors). If the resistance is 1 ohm then it's ok, if it's at zero it's knackered :eek:k:

(A thought to myself, has no one done a 'How To' guide on this as it's a very regular topic :? )

Oh...and welcome to the site :thumbs:

I think I just heard it this morning, very short noise, a little crunchy, as you say graunchy! I think my clutch is improving through regular use, may have just been sat for too long.

Neil said:
Do you get the ABS self test when you first pull off? If you do it's likely a knackered sensor somewhere.
Hang on - now I'm confused. The ABS self test is supposed to happen, even if everything's OK, right? Not indicative of a knackered sensor except where the self test occurs but the dash light is on?

Back