abs and traction light with a grinding noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal85

Hi all I'm new to the site but have had a puma 1.4 for the last few months:)

I'm very new to driving so you will have to excuse my severe lack of knowing anything lol

Recently the abs and traction lights come on and go off again the absseems to be grinding at lower speeds and I can hear something when driving. I had heave new discs and brake pads so I know its not that. Does anybody have many ideas I would very grateful for any help

Thanks
Caleb

Thanking you :)

The abs light and traction light both stayed on this morning and didn't go off.. Would the sensor still be a possible issue.

Bad/faulty sensors are usually the cause.

If you are any good with an electrical/multimeter, you can do a basic test on each sensor to try and find out which one is bad.
There is some info on here somewhere about doing it...

yes it would. You have a sensor on each wheel, single ones on the front but on the rear its all in one piece i.e. the sensors and the wiring for both wheels is all in one piece that connect near the centre of the axle.

You could have the car scanned to find which one is at fault, or buy a cheap scanner £10- £20 and scan it yourself however it sometimes seems the case that cheap scanners dont always pick up abs poblems.

Theres also a way to check them by testing the resistance of the sensors with a meter which you can find details about using the search feature.

A visual inspection first might reveal its as simple as a broken or unplugged sensor wire, or dirty tone rings.

There are other possibilities other than sensor probs but I think this is the place to start

Thank u so much for the replies :) ill try this abs sensor business. Thank u again :)

First thing I'd do is clean the sensors up. Especially the rear ones as they clog up with grease along with the rings. :thumbs:

As above, test the resistance on each sensor connector with a multimeter. If you get 1 ohm they're ok. If you get zero they're kaput. This is what I did and found a faulty one, replaced it and all worked fine ;)

Make sure you know your checking them properly by finding one with a 1 ohm reading then check the others in the same way.

quote :

Recently the abs and traction lights come on and go off again the absseems to be grinding at lower speeds and I can hear something when driving. I had heave new discs and brake pads so I know its not that. Does anybody have many ideas I would very grateful for any help

do you mean come on at start up and then go out ?

if so , this is correct operation .
also the grinding noise at lower speeds is normal for a puma .

but if your abs light is on during driving it indicates a fault somewhere else

You could get a grinding noise when driving if there is a fault.

I put spacers on my old Puma but had to chop one sensor off until I got the loom replaced.
This caused grinding noises, and one some occasions, the system would clamp the brakes on at random times. That is quite dangerous as the brake lights won't come on at the same time (unless you push the brake pedal). I almost got rear-ended, so I personally would be very careful about driving with an ABS/traction control fault.

my puma brakes itself when going round corners under acceleration. I have TC & ABS lights on at the moment too, all my sensors are fine though, all been checked. Ive been told its an alternator that's overcharging sending the wrong signal to the abs sensors causing this to happen. Im going to change the alternator to see if this eliminates the issue! Anyone else experienced this?

my puma brakes itself when going round corners under acceleration. I have TC & ABS lights on at the moment too, all my sensors are fine though, all been checked. Ive been told its an alternator that's overcharging sending the wrong signal to the abs sensors causing this to happen. Im going to change the alternator to see if this eliminates the issue! Anyone else experienced this?

Yes ,

have you changed the alternator yet ?

Back