Aero Catches - Genuine / Non-Genuine ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

So i've currently got hold of 4 black classic style bonnet pins

cc_al-bon-pin-blk.jpg

Although they'd hold a bonnet down very well I'm thinking one day I going to return to the car to see my bonnet long gone from someone pinching it.

So I was thinking of getting Aero Catches perhaps just for the front two but genuine ones are so expensive at up to £85 a pair!

Has anyone fitted ebay type 'non-genuine' ones for the likes of £20-£30 and are they actually any good?

I actually have them as i was going to fit them. Didn't seem like any issue with them as long as none of the plastic latch brakes or damages then you should be opening and closing no bother, however that said, the reason I never fitted as I was warned off from a motorsport team who has seem many bonnets fly up and smash windscreens due to the plastic snapping from stress both through impacts and also not. So i think its one of those, lucky if it doesn't happen, unlucky if it does.

Thanks for the reply mate. That really backs up what I was thinking, go genuine or go home.

Guess even if the bonnet cost me £100 I'd be worrying each night if someone gone off with it. Given its costing me a lot more with the repairs I think I'm gone have to bite the bullet.

Genuine one's shouldnt be that much, I got my 2 which are the locking ones for £45...

and i'l be honest ive never onced locked them, no one will pinch your bonnet

PumaJay said:
Genuine one's shouldnt be that much, I got my 2 which are the locking ones for £45...

and i'l be honest ive never onced locked them, no one will pinch your bonnet

Cheers Jay I want to believe that 100% and use what's pictured above but yours is still on hinges if I'm right? mine would take someone 5 seconds to make off if they wanted (and knew how classic pins work)

Remember where u got yrs mate for £45?

How abou tsomething like these Neil?
less than twenty quid a set..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Racing-Mount-Bonnet-Plus-Flush-Hood-Latch-Catch-Pin-Key-Locking-Kit-/281376812099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41835d6c43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trublustu said:
How abou tsomething like these Neil?
less than twenty quid a set..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Racing-Mount-Bonnet-Plus-Flush-Hood-Latch-Catch-Pin-Key-Locking-Kit-/281376812099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41835d6c43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers stu but they are the fake eBay buys I was talking about with inferior parts, don't want my bonnet flying open doing even 50mph it would snap in half!

agreed, they are really cheap, an all metal version would be best,
not sure what cost you`d be looking at..

but I have seen the external pin type, that you started the thread with, rip straight through a fiberglass bonnet..

Back