Air conditioning

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

Ok so my air con hasn't worked on the Milly ever since I bought it and thought it was time to maybe investigate why as I'd like it to work

Now before I go and get a re-gas is there any way to actually check and see if the air con unit itself works?

Obvious things I can think of...

Inspect the pipes and hoses for damage
Inspect the various components for damage (saw a mates Ka with a hole blown though the compressor).
Turn it on and check that the rad fan come on a few seconds later. (This may be a bad option if there's no lubrication left).

I was clearly lucky. A regas brought it back to life without being too studious.

When I got mine the a/c light come on but the temperature didn't change. I found a local place that did regassing for £35 or "a complete examination and service of the a/c system and a regassing for £75."

The choice was obvious: (i) if they did the big £75 job and said "It needs a new compressor and seals" I would have lived without it and it would have been a waste of money. (ii) if they found nothing wrong, it was still £75. However, leaks are rarely huge, more a seeping out over months. The straight £35 regassing seems to have worked and if, after months, it starts to fail, I'll know there's something wrong and still be £40 to the good.

If it needs regassing and the pressure is low, it won't work anyway as the pressure switch will be stopping it working.

I swear I almost sweated to death in it today! 28 outside and inside the car in leather seats was so very unpleasant lol

No such problems in our thunder.

Working AC and leather is a must!

That said AC is essential in any of my cars now.

Must admit mine no problem either

When got in car

And a positively nipple stiffening later on

However, having cut open a few full ac systems I know that there is usually a uv dye added to the system. When you go get the system filled make sure that they add the dye. So if it doesn't stay fulled yoy can wave a uv light around the engine bay and find the location of the leak.

Back